Moving Roon to new server

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS / Roon 1.8 Build 764

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

UniFi network (cat 6 cabled)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Naim Unity Atom

Description Of Issue

I am currently running to reasonable success Roon Server on an Ubuntu VM. It’s runs ok but not great. I have a small Dell Optiplex Micro (also Ubuntu 18.04 LTS) that I used for Plex Media Server but mostly it sleeps.

The reason I put Roon on to a VM was that I there was negligible load on the already running hosting server.

Question is if I were to move Roon on to the small Optiplex server would the Optiplex be able to be woken from sleep when using the Room IOS devices I have on iPads and iPhones.

Ideally I would like it to wake when an attempt was made to connect to it and then keep awake while music is being played and then sleep some time afterwards.

Any suggestions on a god way to approach this ?

Wake on LAN is usually a hardware BIOS feature so it’ll depend on the Optiplex server. I’ve had this working under other circumstances but my memory of it is as a flaky tech. I think you’ll have to give it a go and see.

Again, from memory, some (all?) Implementations needed a special signal to wake, not just “general network activity” so you might need a custom wake app. Posting the server model would help.

From Dells site for an Optiplex mini:

This option allows the computer to power up from the off state when triggered by a special LAN signal. This feature only works when the computer is connected to AC power supply.
Disabled - Does not allows the system to power on by special LAN signals when it receives a wake-up signal from the LAN or wireless LAN.
LAN or WLAN - Allows the system to be powered on by special LAN or wireless LAN signals.
LAN Only - Allows the system to be powered on by special LAN signals.
LAN with PXE Boot - A wakeup packet sent to the system in either the S4 or S5 state, that will cause the system to wake-up and immediately boot to PXE.
WLAN Only - Allows the system to be powered on by special WLAN signals.
This option is set to Disabled by default

So it appears a specific wake up signal is required. It makes sense, how else to avoid waking up on every network broadcast otherwise?

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.