Mozart - Classics - Identify Composition and Artist

I have imported the CD “Colours of Mozart, Naxos, UPC 4891030513822”.
CD is a compilation, composer = Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, artist = unknown therefore set to Mozart too.
roon says “unidentified”, as i suppose it is not in a database.
based on my tagging each of the tracks is matching with the corresponding compositions.

BUT

• the cd is NOT shown as part of my library @ Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (overview + discography) and
  • the cd is also NOT shown as part of my library @ the composition view.

missing here:

missing here too:

any ideas how to fix this? @AnimalOnDrums

Hey @RalfG ,

sure, there are definitely ways to get Roon to recognize an album and group it appropriately.

The first thing I would try is to use the “Identify Album” option (from the 3-dot menu → Edit) on the album’s page. See if that brings any results by going through it and the search option it gives you if it finds nothing.

If that does not work you can manually edit the album’s credits so that Roon puts it under the correct Artist/composer.

Can you screen shot the credits for that album?

Thanks

hi @aninalondrums,

thanks for your reply.

i tried the search, but it looks that this album is not known.

here are the credits (artist + composer = mozart):

thanks, topic is still open & weird for me.

Well it looks like the primary artist is correct, so what about on each track? Is the primary artist for the tracks the same as fro the album? To view track credits click on the 3-dots at the end of the track name and select “View Credits”.
You could also try a rescan of the album by going to the albums edit screen again and selecting Rescan Album.

yes: all tracks have composer = artist = Mozart (set by mp3tags)
and i did already multiple rescans.

really strange …

That is strange. We are missing something and it is probably really simple, lol. But try this. Go into the Album editor and select the edit album tab. scroll down and you should see an option for “Album Type”. Change it to composition and see what happens.

@AnimalOnDrums : thanks for your effort.

there is no option “composition”, see below, i tried “other” > no impact

by the way, see following attached:

the difference to other albums is that the prefix “Mozart:” is missing.
how can we fix that? maybe this could be the way for a solution?

ooops, you are right. Select “Main”. There should be another option to select if it is a composition or not.

Where is that last screen shot from? You can try adding the Mozart prefix to the album title, but it won’t help if the true album title does not contain the prefix.

Also, go to your Artists Page in Roon and see if there are two Mozarts listed

I suspect this may be the issue. When the album was imported as unidentified, Roon probably didn’t match the album’s Mozart with the DB mozart.

i tried “Main” + rescan > no impact …

my last screen is: roon left side: "My Library > Album + Filter “Mozart”.

what i want to achieve is: show that album in the overview + discography of “wolfgang amadeus mozart”, i have also other unidentified albums, which are shown there.

i checked artists + composers: only 1 mozart …

What does Roon list as the “Album Artist” in the Album editor? Make sure that matches the Primary Artist Link. Do this for all of the tracks as well. If that does not help then I would try rematching the Primary Artist tag. First Delete it and then add the tag again. Also, select “Edit Credits” from the album editor and post a screen shot. You may also have to edit the primary artist credit and some other ones as well.

@AnimalOnDrums @BrianW - thanks for your effort & advises today.

i will come back about that tomorrow.

what is strange:

• i tag (inside files) with artist + composer, never album artist
  • normally there is no need to do any manual roon configuration, my albums are found by default
  • other unidentified albums (composer = mozart) are listed at mozart
  • the only difference to other albums here is: my tags for artist and composer are both identical with MOZART (but that should not be an issue)

lets have a break, enjoy your evening.

In other albums by Mozart that are identified by Roon, what does Roon list as the primary artist, album artist and composer in the album editor? Check some tracks too. Does Roon use “Mozart” or “Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart”. I would try using the same name that Roon uses tin identified albums. Even though you may have tagged those other albums the same, they will be using Roon’s tags since they are identified albums. Since this album is unidentified, it is using the tags from the file. You want the tags in your file to match what Roon uses. See if that helps. If not then lets talk tomorrow and I will play around in Roon to see what I can figure out.

roon uses “wolfgang amadeus mozart”, which is what i use (file tagged) as the composer.
artist is (filed tagged) either the conductor or orchester or solist (here identical to the composer as the artist is unknown)
album artist (file tagged) never used.

besides roon, i have a different media server, which identifies my albums.
there is no issue with “colours of mozart” with that media server.
normally i do not change any roon setting, they are mostly “preferred by roon”.

i have other unidentified mozart albums, which are tagged the same way BUT listed as an mozart album.

pls. see here the FILETAGS of album (colours of mozart):

FILE: Colours of Mozart//01 Die Hochzeit de Figaro KV492 - Ouvertüre
TXXX: BARCODE 4891030513822
TITLE: Die Hochzeit de Figaro KV492 - Ouvertüre
INTERPRET: Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
ALBUM: Colours of Mozart
GENRE: Klassik
TRACK: 1 / 10
JAHR: 2005

FILE: Colours of Mozart//02 Klavierkonzert Nr. 21 C-Dur KV 467
TITLE: Klavierkonzert Nr. 21 C-Dur KV 467
TRACK: 2 / 10

FILE: Colours of Mozart//03 Die Zauberflöte KV 620 - Der Vogelfänger bin ich ja
TITLE: Die Zauberflöte KV 620 - Der Vogelfänger bin ich ja
TRACK: 3 / 10

FILE: Colours of Mozart//04 Violinkonzert Nr. 5 A-Dur (Turkish) KV 219 - Allegro aperto
TXXX: PART Allegro aperto
TXXX: WORK Violin Concerto No. 5 in A major (“Turkish”) K. 219
TITLE: Violinkonzert Nr. 5 A-Dur (Turkish) KV 219 - Allegro aperto
TRACK: 4 / 10

FILE: Colours of Mozart//05 Requiem d-moll KV 626 - Introitus Requiem aeternam
TITLE: Requiem d-moll KV 626 - Introitus: Requiem aeternam
TRACK: 5 / 10

FILE: Colours of Mozart//06 Flötenquartett D-Dur KV 285 - Allegro
TITLE: Flötenquartett D-Dur KV 285 - Allegro
TRACK: 6 / 10

FILE: Colours of Mozart//07 Klaviersonate Nr. 11 A-Dur KV 331 Alla Turca
TITLE: Klaviersonate Nr. 11 A-Dur KV 331: Alla Turca
TRACK: 7 / 10

FILE: Colours of Mozart//08 Eine kleine Nachtmusik KV 525 - Romanze
TITLE: Eine kleine Nachtmusik KV 525 - Romanze
TRACK: 8 / 10

FILE: Colours of Mozart//09 Hornkonzert Nr. 4 Es-Dur KV 495 - Allegro maestoso
TITLE: Hornkonzert Nr. 4 Es-Dur KV 495 - Allegro maestoso
TRACK: 9 / 10

FILE: Colours of Mozart//10 Sinfonie Nr. 40 g-moll KV 550 - Molto allegro
TITLE: Sinfonie Nr. 40 g-moll KV 550 - Molto allegro
TRACK: 10 / 10

ok thanks. Well for now, the last thing I would do is make sure that any focus filters and search filters are cleared. I noticed that in an image in your first post that you have a focus filter set to show only albums in your library, so I would just make sure they are all reset and see if that helps anything. Ill let you know if I come up with any other ideas

Point of clarification: Mozart should not be an artist on any recording, having died in 1791. Composer, yes. This is an issue that plagues classical music databases. And even with him correctly credited as composer, that does not guarantee that this recording will appear in the composer view. This is a known issue, one that hopefully will be resolved in a future release.

Having Mozart as an artist, whether or not he should be, does not in itself make the album appear in overview or discography. However, an appearance as composer, even for one track, should make the album appear.

@RalfG , I think you’ve done this, but to confirm, in your composers browser, you only see one Mozart, yes?

Relevant thread: When selecting composer album missing [Ticket In]

1 Like

@BrianW I have many albums with the correct composer credits that don’t appear in composer view. I totally agree that they should, however!

A good reference -I had missed that thread.