MQA and Bluesound

I assume the MQA issues still aren’t resolved on BlueSound’s end, huh?

MQA works perfectly well… using BluOs.
I also would like to see it working playing from Roon but it’s not that big of a deal using the bluOs app instead of roon. In fact BluOs gives a visible indication on MQA albums which roon does not.

What’s the point of paying for Roon then?

1 Like

The whole UI experience, the way you can discover music. The way you can enjoy Artwork and lyrics. The fact you can add artwork and PDF files. The fact you can sync all RAAT devices with Bluesound. The way you can search, categories and Bookmark your music. The play queues and the latest functionality. All the DSP functions for Room correction in systems. The DSP for headphones and the Audeze pre sets.
Should I go on?

4 Likes

+1 Couldn’t have said it better myself (also a great Meat Loaf song)

@Nick_Atkins: Just buy a lifetime subscription and forget about it (as I did myself). I’m building my own library, replacing Tidal albums with bought albums (and Digital files from HDTracks, Qobuz etc.), so that I’m no longer dependent on Tidal or any other streaming service.

But Deezer or Spotify would still be nice (if only they would get their fingers out of their asses… I know that Roon isn’t the problem here!), because my wive listens to different kinds of music than I do :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is the main reason I don’t mind switching to BluOs for MQA playback.

I bought a lifetime subscription a few years back and love using roon. I’m sure over time there will be a RAAT update in BluOs. Likewise I have no doubt roon will have an tag for MQA in the future.

Until then I happily use both apps

2 Likes

The thing is, this solution is not family friendly. Family wants the best version of something obviously available in a turnkey app. This is especially important when the tech member of the family is away a lot.

Does the fact that Roon will soon do MQA unfolding solve the bluesound issue?

Not really, BlueSound is capable of unfolding MQA itself and I think that’s the way to go!

Not via Roon.

Which is pretty strange since Roon sends the sound signal bit perfect. But I guess the roon and bluesound guys will figure it out

They have. Bluesound needs to implement an update to the RoonReady SDK. It has been available for a few months now, but unfortunately it also involves changes in the MQA is currently embedded in the Bluesound architecture. It’s a sizeable job, but it looks like things are moving now.

Thanks for the heads up :slight_smile:

@rbm What are the signs it is moving?

Yes, I don’t see any signs. Same thing with implementing DSD. Supposedly Bluesound has been working on this for months, but nothing has been announced.

On the public side, @mike has commented on the Bluesound situation here:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-bluesound-problems/35003/38

Bluesound have committed themselves to implementing the new SDK about six months ago, but also told it is a lot of work that takes time to make changes to their own architecture. The SDK updates involves both syncing improvements and MQA integration. DSD, AFAIK, was never never firmly promised, other than it being on the list of things to investigate – as goes for a host of other feature requests.

Mind – I’m not trying to to sweet-talk over this. I think things are moving too slow at BS and have sold off a Node 2 that I was otherwise happy with over this (the Pulse 2 in my bedroom isn’t going anywhere soon though).

But integrating ecosystems is hard and sometimes has unforeseen consequences. The whole MQA thing brought with it new requirements that only became clear after Bluesound had stepped aboard the RoonReady boat. I commend them for committing to the work, but yes – for a BS owner, it’s a long wait.

Bottom line here folks is that you will be able to enjoy unfolded mqa on bluesound devices. This is thanks to Roon, not bluesound. Other brands have worked hard such that their devices do both mqa unfolds, bluesound hasn’t (in roon ). Its important to understand that the second unfold is device specific, to optimize sound. Bluesound owners won’t have that and frankly I don’t see bluesound (given their track record on this issue) spending dev money to achieve this, nor do I see an outcry from us owners over this. Doesn’t seem anybody is listening in any case.
Be happy! Mqa in roon over bluesound endpoints is on the horizon. Thank you Roon!

Hi Mark, has it been confirmed that Roon will do the complete unfold?

It’s all here (somewhere). My understanding bis Roon and mqa have come to terms. Roon will do the first unfold, same as tidal does in a PC environment. The second unfold is a dac specific tweak…

Any update on this topic? I have a NAD M12 with a Bluesound card that I’ve been patiently waiting for the ability to do a full MQA unfold from Roon/Tidal.