MQA and Bluesound

I don’t think anyone expected next day.

I have just received an upgrade notification for my Bluesound players. Pulse2 and Mini. It says it should take 30 mins. I don’t know what’s included though.

2.12.9 now. That didn’t take long.

RAAT SDK version is unchanged at 1.1.15, so don’t get your hopes up for MQA just yet…

EDIT: Release Notes:

BluOS 2.12.9

The latest BluOS® software, version 2.12.9, adds support for Dirac Live® room correction on the NAD T758 V3 Surround Sound Receiver. Use the free Dirac Live LE for NAD* application to optimize the sound quality of your home theater setup.
*An upgrade to Dirac Live is available for $99 USD. Please visit www.nadelectronics.com/dirac-live more information.

Software Requirements

BluOS Controller for iOS, version 2.12.2 or higher.
BluOS Controller for Android and Kindle Fire, version 2.12.3 or higher.
BluOS Controller for Mac OS, version 2.12.3 or higher.
BluOS Controller for Windows PC, version 2.12.3 or higher.

What’s New

• Support for Dirac Live LE on NAD T 758 V3 AV Receiver.
• HDMI improvements for VM 130 and VM 300 MDC cards.
• Other minor BluOS enhancements.

This is a stream of a MQA file through Bluesound and NAD M12.

BluOS 2.14 just released.

Unfortunately it is still RAAT SDK version 1.1.15 :anguished:

Clearly not a priority then since we are moving towards a year waiting for this fix :frowning:

I can understand them prioritising getting their wireless 5.1 offering sorted though, as I’m guessing there is more potential business in that direction. Hopefully MQA tweak next on the list? I gather it’s not an easy fix. Still, it’s been a while, though they do seem a pretty responsive bunch

Mike, how do you check the RAAT version in BluOS? Thanks!

I like the digital input on my Pulse players signal sense and turn on automatically. One less button SWMBO has to press if she is watching TV through it.

Hi Joe,

In Settings … Audio there’s a small information (i) icon by each BluOS mplayer - click on that and it tells you the BluOS version and the RAAT version.

1 Like

Lovely…Thanks, Mike!

I’m guessing all the engineers are working on Airplay 2 right now, which I imagine would be priority #1.

1 Like

I assume the MQA issues still aren’t resolved on BlueSound’s end, huh?

MQA works perfectly well… using BluOs.
I also would like to see it working playing from Roon but it’s not that big of a deal using the bluOs app instead of roon. In fact BluOs gives a visible indication on MQA albums which roon does not.

What’s the point of paying for Roon then?

1 Like

The whole UI experience, the way you can discover music. The way you can enjoy Artwork and lyrics. The fact you can add artwork and PDF files. The fact you can sync all RAAT devices with Bluesound. The way you can search, categories and Bookmark your music. The play queues and the latest functionality. All the DSP functions for Room correction in systems. The DSP for headphones and the Audeze pre sets.
Should I go on?

4 Likes

+1 Couldn’t have said it better myself (also a great Meat Loaf song)

@Nick_Atkins: Just buy a lifetime subscription and forget about it (as I did myself). I’m building my own library, replacing Tidal albums with bought albums (and Digital files from HDTracks, Qobuz etc.), so that I’m no longer dependent on Tidal or any other streaming service.

But Deezer or Spotify would still be nice (if only they would get their fingers out of their asses… I know that Roon isn’t the problem here!), because my wive listens to different kinds of music than I do :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is the main reason I don’t mind switching to BluOs for MQA playback.

I bought a lifetime subscription a few years back and love using roon. I’m sure over time there will be a RAAT update in BluOs. Likewise I have no doubt roon will have an tag for MQA in the future.

Until then I happily use both apps

2 Likes

The thing is, this solution is not family friendly. Family wants the best version of something obviously available in a turnkey app. This is especially important when the tech member of the family is away a lot.

Does the fact that Roon will soon do MQA unfolding solve the bluesound issue?