MQA disappointing

I am not personally interested in comparing with other masters. You could never do that in the ‘Glory Days’ you just bought an LP.
I am happy with MQA files as they are authenticated as much as an LP was and is technically superior without the storage and care issues. (I do like to hold an LP cover though and in theory, I could re buy them and have the best and worst of all worlds :joy:)

…But I am definitely keen to attribute differences I hear to MQA

Have you any idea how untenable this position is?

1 Like

I’m lovin’ It, you’re not. That’s OK … so what?

My not what?

Allowing Meridian to monetise fresh air.

1 Like

Your not enjoying MQA.

Please Chris, tell us how you really feel :smile:

1 Like

There doesn’t seem much point in comparing to other masters - it might however be interesting (to me at least) to compare directly with the actual master from with an MQA encoding was made.

For me that is just because I am a techie who had worked in digital audio production on and off over the years, so I am interested in such things.

Nothing wrong with that, I just listen for pleasure as life is short and it’s not my job or profession. The 2L site have some comparisons but I don’t think providing such for the whole catalog of MQA music would be feasible.

Well indeed, so in the end enjoy a good production when you find it :slight_smile:
I still think that quality of production is king over anything else. Format, MQA processing etc - are all just icing on the cake, like a good pre-amp and a good dac etc.

1 Like

Ashley “McBryde” for those searching for it in Roon…

1 Like

Yes, agreed… It all starts with production. MQA is, as I understand it, about getting those results to the consumer.

Thanks, edit done…

Listen to Norah Jones Come Away with me “Shoot the moon”. The distortion on repeated plucked string rhythm guitar is pretty obvious vs non-MQA (the pitch is lower than it should be vs the original). After a while you will learn what to listen for and hear it on everything MQA processed. An additional effect is the hole in the middle of the soundstage - everything is less focussed or smeared - this is probably due to phase distortion from minimum phase filtering.

It is easier to hear on every MQA processed track once you know what to listen for but trained professionals should notice right away. MQA proponents will tell you this distortion is an improvement but only a fool would prefer MQA over the original high resolution file.

3 Likes

That’s funny, people find one note in one song that they don’t agree with and then condem a format and dismiss all the correct notes everywhere else that would be too long to list.
Not being a big Norah Jones listener, it hasn’t bothered me yet. If there is an issue, it may be nothing to do with MQA. Here we go :joy:

I hear distortion on every track processed by MQA. It isn’t one note but every note that is distorted by MQA. I just try to pick an example where the distortion is highly repetitive and therefore much easier for others to identify. Once you hear it then you will know what to listen for on every MQA track.

1 Like

And I never notice anything, so what does that prove? You find what you are looking for perhaps… psycho acoustics indeed…

1 Like

Try comparing the first track of the Ashley McBryde album mentioned above. I have and in this case I prefer the standard flac.

The bass is punchier and a bit tighter on the MQA but the rest seems a bit harsh. It’s the same MQA sound signature as on the latest David Crosby album. However, on the Crosby I preferred MQA.

I think the MQA is a bit louder on both albums but not by much.

Which DAC and what Roon settings?

No, we don’t. I’m saying that as a “trained professional” (=musician and sound engineer) who doesn’t even like MQA…

Yes it is quite obvious on that Crosby album. Nevertheless one can hear distortion on every MQA processed track if you know what to listen for. If one likes distortion added to some albums or styles of music then that is a preference for that album or style. Nothing wrong with liking distortion in some cases. However MQA claims high fidelity studio authenticated and this is simply false - turning up the overdrive on a guitar amp may create a sound one likes but claiming it has less distortion is also a false statement.

2 Likes