MQA failed playback with Matrix Audio Element X DAC streamer

Not only no issues but max available quality (in Roon) has been improved too.

If Roon upsampling is in use you can use PCM is 768kHz in 32bits - good result :slight_smile:

1 Like

i am very tempted to get the Element X. I was going to go for Auralic Altair G1, as it has similar features but is £1,000 cheaper. However the Element X looks like it is slightly more advanced. Would love to see a Mytek Broklyn Bridge/AltairG1/Element X comp.

Hi,

Specification:

1. Matrix
  2. Auralic
  3. Mytec

Build quality:

1. Matrix (best)
  2. Auralic (not bad)
  3. Mytec (cheap)

Firmware quality (+update frequency):

1. Auralic (well maintained platform)
  2. Mytec (not bad, not great)
  3. Matrix (young platform, some bugs, quite good after last update)

Network Roon playback (+build in DAC):

1. Matrix PCM 768k/32,MQA (unfold up to 384k), DSD256 (great)
  2. Auralic PCM 384k/32 , MQA (unfold up ?), DSD256 (ok)
  3. Mytec PCM 192k/24, MQA (unfold up ?). DSD64 (bad)

Build-in player (if you are not using Roon)

1. Auralic, Mytec (good)
  2. Matrix (not as good as competitors)

I think Matrix ElementX is ok but is expensive (you can decide for ElementP or ElementM), it has good headphone amp, Auralic is ok too, in my opinion Mytec is not good option.

Regards Chris

1 Like

that is awesome. thank you so much for this. My local dealer has all 3 so I will take a look at all of them. I appreciate the Matrix is not roon ready yet, which is still an issue for me (although i have seen some roon ready products that still have major issues with roon!).

Hello @Alejandro_Houghton,

We continue to assist Matrix Audio with the issues reported in this thread. They have provided us with hardware for testing and have kept us updated on their progress.

-John

To be honest after latest update I have no issues with Roon playback, device works well.

All I need is native DSD support in Roon, right now we have DOP-DSD (DSD256 available), as soon as native will be present we should have DSD512 available in Roon too.

I’m not sure where is Roon with “Roon Ready” certification for Element series.

Those are great news! Hope you can certify the Element X soon, just don’t forget to let us know.

Hi @john any news regarding this certification for Element X?

Hello @Alejandro_Houghton,

Nothing new to share at this time. We do not share estimates regarding when Roon Ready certification will be completed.

-John

Hello Chris, I am thinking to buy an Element x, How is been your experience with it so far?

Is the Element X able to stream Tidal MQA via ethernet using Roon and perform a full decode? If so… are you getting 24/352.8 htz sample rate and MQA Studio when availiable?

Any updates or improvements since your last post?

Regards Mau

Hi,

Yes, it is able to decode MQA fully.
Roon support and stability is much improved (I have no issues anymore).

Regards Chris

2 Likes

Thinking of getting the Element X . Spec wise, this machine is a beast !

1 Like

If your roon server is in another room they I guess you need the Roon Ready (oh wait it never was certified by Roon) streamer functionality. :joy: I gave them back the Element X after a few months and saved $1000 by just connecting my Fanless noiseless dedicated roon server in my main listening rack to the Matrix XSabre Pro MQA DAC which slightly bests the Element X specification wise and at only $2k. I found the USB interface to work more reliably and at the highest sampling rates. Mqa works great, upsampling to 768khz or 256DSD works flawlessly over usb. You’re limited to lower over-sampling rates using the Roon streaming function built into the Element X. Also, at the time and after months of waiting for updates to fix the mqa issues like the Element X crashing along with Roon software everytime an mqa was encountered with Tidal. Hopefully they have at least gotten that problem fixed by now. The rest of the streamer software functionality was very glitchy at the time too. Accessing my local library over a network share was problematic, but they fixed that by fully (sort of) supporting smb 2.0. The only issue I had after that was being disconnected from the network share and having it constantly forgetting my library daily.

Hopefully you’re experience will be much better than mine a year ago. Regardless of the glitches or issues some of us early customers experienced Matrix is small, but a very dedicated group of enthusiastic audiophile engineers and they do delivery sonically, a well nigh perfect sounding and measuring product. I loved the way the Element X dac streamer and my XSabre Pro MQA DAC sounded.

So if for some reason you can run usb and your roon server is dead silent like mine was custom ordered to be you can consider just the dac and pocket the grand imho. Eitherway you go, good luck and happy listening. BTW I was very impressed Matrix allowed me to switch to the XSabre Pro MQA DAC 3 months after purchase. I had hoped firmware updates would fix my issues sooner, but I got very tired of the crashes.

Matrix Element series has achieve Roon Ready certification.

https://www.matrix-digi.com/en/news/20200529488.html

4 Likes

I have been testing the Matrix Audio element X a bit today as well with Roon. No issues with MQA anymore.

Skjermbilde 2020-06-27 kl. 18.11.22

Only small glitch I have found… when starting to playback MQA, it takes 1 second before switching to MQA, leading to a minor glitch in playback. Only first track of MQA.

Maybe add a short sync delay and see if that resolves the issue.

Smooth sailing here, even through WiFi as a Roon Endpoint :slight_smile:

I wish to add, I am sure the MA team has worked on improving the firmware and stability of the element series. I have used my X for a few days, all through WiFi, with the exception of adding the unit in the beginning through the MA app needed a few tries, the unit and its functionality has been rock solid, no firmware update needed thus far. For those who are curious.

1 Like

They’ve had a while to fix it and they’ve obviously used that time productively.