MQA issue with Samsung S10 & Chord Mojo

Guys

I’ve got a chord mojo and using tidal via Roon. Sometimes on Roon and more so on Tidal native playback I get lots of popping sounds on Master recordings?

I’m using the chord stock usb cable and a short OTG cable from amazon

I’m slightly worried now about my planned hugo2 upgrade if this is the case.

Any ideas what’s causing this ? The chord is playing back 192khz with the blue light.

Thanks.

At the popping sounds during tracks or between tracks? Do they correspond to format changes, or within one album?

During tracks Johnny. This album was particularly bad.

There was some popping on the roon output but pretty bad on the Tidal native output.

Hmmm. Well I’m not going to be much use here as all my experience with pops has to do with inter-track noise on smsl DACs.

One thought, which I am totally unqualified to have… that is the first 176.4 MQA album I’ve seen. It sounds lovely on my system (except for the inter-track pops, naturally). But I wonder if that sample rate is somehow bad for your setup.

Are you running as decoder & renderer, or just renderer? Is core decoding enabled?

A couple of points.

1. Android will upsample/ downsample to 192kHz (or another fixed sample rate) regardless of the input. Presently Android is not the best choice for a Roon bridge/ endpoint. Can you post a screenshot of the signal path?

2. The Mojo (and Hugo 2) aren’t MQA aware so Roon will perform the first unfold, e.g. 48kHz to 96kHz. You will not get MQA192kHz with a Chord device as this step is only performed by MQA capable DAC.

Nonetheless, Chord make fantastic DACs–I have two–and you shouldn’t experience clicks and pops. Can you confirm if playback is good with non-MQA 44.1kHz or 48kHz recordings? Also, do you have DSP enabled? And, please share screenshots of your Device Settings.

Finally, can you hook the Mojo to your Roon Core? Does this have a wired connection and do you still have the issues? Also, try using a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi connection on the S10.

PS. I’ve asked that this thread be moved to #support.

Ask and ye shall receive.

1 Like

Thanks Martin

Very helpful and not sure on this…it seems to be drivers in the Samsung as I understand. it’s a bad output from the phone or phone relat

Ironically I’ve bit the bullet today and have purchased a Hugo2 and 2go… Hopefully this has gone away ! :+1:

If the Hugo2/ 2go work as well as the Mojo/ Poly you’ll be fine–the 2go is Roon Ready. But note that the 2go only uses 2.4GHz Wi-Fi so you’ll need to make sure your home network is setup accordingly. If you’re not moving about the house I recommend you use an Ethernet cable.

Oh… I wasn’t aware. Umm.

Hope it gets a firmware update but unlikely.

2.4GHz is a design choice as it is more stable over longer distances–you don’t need the bandwidth of 5G for streaming hi-res content.

If you post details of your router I’m sure someone can confirm if this is dual band and/ or help you set it up for 2.4G.

Yep.it is Martin. Will see how it goes. Thanks again. Much appreciated.

1 Like

Hi @Adam_Hextall,

Can you please share a screenshot of the Signal Path in Roon when you experience this issue?

Do local MQA albums also display the behavior? If you don’t have any local MQA, you can download a few samples from the 2L Test Bench (right-click on the file size -> save as).

Hi Noris

I decided in the end to sell the Mojo. Have now bought a Hugo 2 so will see how this plays out. Please close the ticket. Thanks

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.