Show MQA resolution on albums [Done in Roon 1.8]

Hi everyone, I recently added Tidal and Qobuz subscriptions to my Roon. I don’t know if this problem of mine had been discussed before…my apologies. Tidal use MQA to stream their Hi-Rez files (I am not 100% sure on this) and as Qobuz just stream High-Rez as is. Adding favorite albums from both services created a little problem for me. There are albums that have several formats of MQA, ie. 192kHz, 96kHz… I added all of them from both Tidal and Qobuz (only if a particular album offered several different types of formats) wanting to hear the differences between each format and MQA hype. I have always turn on the album formation information on the settings under general page because I have a few high-rez files with or without MQA, and different types of formats of DSD files purchased over the past 10 years stored in my Roon Nucleus+'s SSD. Regular high-rez albums will clearly show the different format in 24/48, 24/88, 24/96, 24/172, 24/192 etc. at the bottom left of the album cover. And so does the DSD albums (DSD64, DSD 128). Now MQA albums encoded in different formats just show MQA!! The only way I know is to edit each album information under Version and manually type in the numbers. That’s no fun!! Adding favorite albums from both Tidal and Qobuz is easy task and tends to go off at a tangent. Now I have a few hundreds if not thousands of different encoded MQA formats showing up on my album covers. It is time for me to listen but the moment I see all the MQA letters on the album covers and all of the sudden I discover the need of wanting to do a critical listening is no longer there!! :frowning: Overwhelmed by MQAs!!! Wouldn’t it be nice to show the MQA logo and instead of the 3 MQA letters repalce them with high-rez information(numbers)? I know I could do a Focus - Format and check the different types of resolutions… it’s just not the same. It is just a preference. Is there any other way you guys know how? Thanks in advace!!

And yes, I am deleting recently added MQA albums as we speak!! I am sure I won’t hear a big difference between the different types of formats. I need to scale back on adding albums and just enjoy the music. LOL!!

A.

1 Like

I have 500+ albums from Tidal and 500+ from Qobuz. Most are duplicates because I like to compare them. Also, up until a few days ago, I could listen to 24/192 on one system and MQA on the other. Now, I can listen to both on both systems.

When I decide to add an album, I click on versions and make sure I add the highest resolution available from both Tidal and Qobuz. Many times they are equal, but not always. It would be good to be able to see the MQA resolutions from the main albums menu. I frequently click on the MQA version just to see what it is before deciding which one to play.

Jim,

Thanks for suggestion. I, too at first, chose the highest resolution. But wanting to hear if there is a “big” difference between all the resolutions in 24/48, 24/88, 24/96, 24/172, 24/192…etc. BTW, which one do you like better? Tidal? Qobuz?

Again, thanks.

I think it varies depending on the album I’m listening to. However, in general, I prefer what I perceive as more punch and the bass emphasis of Tidal MQA. Sometimes, the Qobuz version seems too mellow. I don’t suggest listening to MQA unless you have an MQA capable DAC. I think that is what leads many people to dislike MQA.

4 Likes

MQA is MQA and the file size is actually not relevant unless you want to dig in to the data. MQA means it has been signed of (in the case of MQA Studio) as analogous to the original sound.

Think of it as a destination to meet friends, when you all get there, the route you took doesn’t really matter beyond a minor talking point. You have arrived in the same place and time.

2 Likes

Starting in Roon 1.8, MQA resolution is shown under album covers. It can be enabled/disabled in Settings > General > Customize album display > Show album format.

2 Likes