MQA software decoding in Roon

I’m just happy to read that the user base is growing significantly. Great news!

1 Like

It is that simple. I have a Directstream Dac from PS Audio and a Meridian Explorer 2. A MQA album on the Meridian Explorer 2 sounds better than the same highres album on the Directstream Dac. But as allways that is a personal opinion.

1 Like

So you’re saying a $300 DAC sounds better than a $5,000 DAC?

No, he is very specific in saying that

Explorer 2 with an MQA Track…sounds better to his ears…than the High Res version [24/96/192] of the same track when played thru the DirectStream DAC

Subtle nuance, but for the record, I’ve heard the Explorer with MQA and it didn’t come anywhere near the sound quality of 24bit audio through my DCS Debussy – thus the question. In fact, audio through the Tidal desktop app from their Masters at 24/96 sounded far better through my Debussy than anything the Explorer could ever do. I’m highly skeptical that the Explorer could ever sound good with MQA. And that’s from my experience. Perhaps this is related to something else like a fault in his DirectStream DAC or other playback issue.

I’m not surprised at your results…I’m merely clarifying what the previous poster posted…i.e. that it was the COMBINATION of File plus DAC that he was comparing

Can Meridian Explorer2 be “fed” by a Roon Ready device (such as Sonore microrendu or Sonicorbiter) and still unfold MQA, or does it have to be directly connected to a computer and Tidal Desktop?

Im doing this right now :grinning:

Connect it directly to an computer in your network and install Roon Brigde on that computer.

Of cause you can also connect it to your MicroRendu.

You should use exclusive mode.

Yes it plays MQA.

Have I answered your question?

I like my DAC to have SPDIF input by HQPlayer, that’s where I connected my MicroRendu.

I also like to test MQA fully unfolded. So on another SPDIF input I have the Explorer2.

I don’t have an USB DAC.

I don’t want to connect it to a computer. I want to connect it to my Sonore Sonicorbiter, but not sure if I do so, Imwould get MQA decoding? Roon does not decode MQA yet.

Also, I read Explorer2 is powered by USB port. Is there enough power on Sonicorbiter to power the Explorer2?

I am really itching to buy an Explorer2 just to try MQA on my headphones

Thanks!

So you don’t own the Explorer2. Hm.
Well there are other options. :grinning:

I think you should take your question over at CA site, and talk to Jesus or Andrew.

Still you should understand that Roon Brigde will solve this.

SonicOrbiter is SW. So it is on an computer anyway :grinning:

SonicTransporter has the power.

Why not itching for this one:

But does it MQA ?

As I said, I am wanting to get one, But I won’t until I know the answers to my questions.

Thanks anyway

The short answer to your original question is yes. Simple as that.

I think you misunderstood me. When I said Sonicorbiter I meant this:

https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/collections/music-players/products/sonicorbiter-se?variant=13236157892

Let’s try this again:

1 - Would Explorer2 play MQA files if connected to Sonicorbiter as Roon Ready endpoint?

2 - would Sonicorbiter power Explorer2?

I think you already got a answer here as well

Again YES.

But again Jesus and Andrew should answer the Vbus question. If you having issues with lack of support from Sonore or SMG, you may still express that on the CA site

@vortecjr is herby notified.

I hope you own that device, cause it’s sold out :grinning:

Thanks. I did not notice that answer, as the nice gent who replied did not quote me or flag me. He is saying No and you are saying Yes. I am even more confused. I don’t know who those people are and what CA site is.

I know @vortecjr and he can hopefully chime in with definitive answers to those two questions.

Thanks for your help.

He answer no, it’s not a requirement to connect to a computer, so I think we’re saying the same. And as said I have a Explorer2 here now. As well as a hardware running that specific SW made by Andrew at SMG.

So you just purchase the Explorer2, but there are alternatives.

I already have the Sonore Sonicorbiter SE. I also have the microrendu. Love them both

@R1200CL

Thanks for your help.

So is it now 100 % clear to you that you can connect the Explorer2 to hardware containing SonicOrbiter like you have and it’s will play MQA, as the answer in the other tread also confirm, or do you need further clarifications ?