MQA software decoding in Roon

Not that I mistrust you, but if some of the “official” Sonore or SGC guys can confirm would be great.

Still don’t know the answer to powering question.

Do you have an Explorer2 to sell me?

You can only take a horse to water :wink:

1 Like

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f26-sonore-sponsored/sonore-sonicorbiter-se-27028/

So this a Cubox.

Then read Cubox spesification.

https://www.solid-run.com/freescale-imx6-family/cubox-i/cubox-i-specifications/

When Roon support MQA I might have :grinning:

You can install the Explorer2 downstream from an endpoint and receive MQA signal and blue light with hi-res. Do not add any Roon DSP functions to the signal. I am doing this with a Bryston BDP-1 and have also done so with a microRendu. Now using a Meridian Prime Headphone amp DAC, but also have done so with the Explorer2.

So you say that just because the Directstream DAC is much more expensive than the Explorer2 it must sound better. There is absolutely nothing wrong with my Directstream DAC. It sounds wonderful.

But in my ears the MQA album on the Explorer2 still sounds better. I like the sound better. More analog sounding than the sound from the Directstream DAC.

“I like the sound better. More analog sounding than the sound from the Directstream DAC.”

As I read that often. I would like to know what that means.
Whats the difference in your perception? What is analog sounding?

“I like the sound better.” That is what counts. Whatever sounds best to YOU is always the best solution…Sometimes different types of music sound better yet respectively on different equipment. :slight_smile:

Enjoying the music means letting go of the process sometimes…

1 Like

Yes, you are right. Thats also my opinion.
But still I had an other question.

[quote=“thyname, post:256, topic:20611”]
Not that I mistrust you, but if some of the “official” Sonore or SGC guys can confirm would be great.

Still don’t know the answer to powering question.[/quote]

The Explorer2 can decode MQA. The only burden on the player software/hardware is to deliver a bit-perfect stream. Roon is capable of bit-perfect playback, as is the microRendu and SonicOrbiter.

The main thing to make sure, as others have said, is that you don’t enable DSP features or software volume controls. These will interfere with bit-perfect delivery of the MQA stream and prevent the Explorer2 from decoding it.

So yes, if you plug an Explorer2 into a microRendu or SOSE, it can deliver the full MQA experience if configured properly.

2 Likes

I use a bit of speaker gain in my headphone setup (-1.5dB) to compensate for less than perect hearing in my right ear.

Would that be enough to effectively kill hardware MQA decoding?

1 Like

I’d think so, any dsp would render the stream altered.

Yes, it would.

[quote=“brian, post:264, topic:20611, full:true”]

Thanks Brian! It is clear now.

As Explorer2 does not have a power plug / supply / input and it is supposed to be powered by USB port (typically by a computer), is there enough power on SO or mRendu to power Explorer2?

1 Like

Seriously, I’m not sure how many times you expect people to answer the same question

Your question has been asked and directly answered on at least 3 occasions now, including below

Taking YES for an answer is a good thing

Hi

You will be fine, be interested to hear back on your thoughts on sound quality?

Russ

OK OK everyone. I got it. Clear now. Thank you!

Just wanted to make sure it works for my setup. It is for my second headphones set up. With Audeze EL-8 Titanium, so not hugely important.

Hopefully I will find a used E2.

I apologize for repeated questions, but please keep in mind I am still relatively new Roon user. Still within the first 30 days of paying for the annual subscription (after taking the trial), and seriously contemplating paying for Lifetime subscription.

I was hoping ROCK was launched soon, as I already have a 6th gen i5 NUC ready to go with 8 GB RAM, and don’t want to install anything else but ROCK.

I have to admit: great Roon support team and great community you guys have here!

I don’t know if you heard about something called vinyl. It is how we used to listen to music in the old days. In a very good vinyl setup I still think the music it’s reproduced better than any didigtal setup does. More analog. :slight_smile:

MQA on the Explorer2 sounds more like playing the music via a great vinyl setup.

I don’t know if that help you to understand what I mean with analog sounding.

I just purchased the Meridian Explorer 2 Used.

Thanks for your reply. It is really apreciated.

I do have a (basic) vinyl setup. What I read on LP’s is they are recorded and mastered digitally. The DDD Stamp…
That is valid for most LP’s I bought in the last 5 years. So here the digital to analog conversion simply takes place in a different order compared using a DAC in the chain.
Totally different is the situation if you happen to own LP’s with AAA stamp, a whole analog process…
But these LP’s are rare and expensive.
And yes it might be that MQA is sounding somehow analog. Still the production and mastering has nothing to do with analog recording and mastering. And I really cant say anything pro or contra that comparison.
I think Fone Records offer real analog LP’s and Analog Master Tapes. I happen to own a few of them.

Rega record in the all Analog domain, Roy won’t have any digital processing in the chain. So, a reliable source if they have the music you like.