MQA software decoding in Roon

If record labels are able to and inclined to use signaling/watermarking in MQA for DRM and/or copyright enforcement purposes, they will.

AJ

That is my point but people keep on say ā€˜Draconian DRMā€™ as if itā€™s a possibility in what seems to me like an effort to undermine MQA in a subtle way.
DRM has no part to play in MQA. But as you say the tools are needed to Authenticate.

This is about streaming in Roon though isnā€™t it? That means rights management is taken care of by Roon so DRM may be a relevant discussion for downloaded files but not here really. :wink:

Just replying to a comment to make the point clear.

1 Like

Simple: there is NO additional information. At most, thereā€™s a few bits of information selecting an upsampling algo in the particular target DAC (which is not without value). But thereā€™s no REAL information or else the bandwidth would have to increase.

I donā€™t understand why you need to compromise the digital data in order to get a better an analog reproduction?

What is analog-to-analog process? Isnā€™t all the mastering, distribution and playing back are done digitally? What is informed sampling? I never heard of this term in my studies of engineering.

Alternatively, readers may want to consider the following based on my own reading and observations of what Roon tells me about MQA files.

When there is NO hi-res information, MQA doesnā€™t pretend to have any. There is no up-sampling.

When there are samples based on the sample rates used in the original ADC then MQA does unfold to those original sample rates

Many people are finding that the higher sample rates sound especially good. On some websites, folks do actually pay premium download prices for these samples rates too. In MQA they get unfolded to those rates.

Simple.

1 Like

Guy, have you had chance to read anything about the MQA approach ? It has been covered many times.

The CA FAQ /Q&A is a good place to start. Easier starts can be found on MQA Facebook, twitter etc. Videos, interviews etc.

Thank you @ncpl, Nick, I will read up.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/748-mqa-civilians/

Guy, try this one as a recent piece.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/694-comprehensive-q-mqa-s-bob-stuart/

What is Dynamic Range ~4? Looks to me 24/44.1k unfold has a higher dynamic ā€˜numberā€™ compared to 24/48k fold to 96kā€¦

Many of us have read everything readily available on MQA, but it is still not very clear. It seems MQA are rather deliberately obfuscating the technical details, and where third parties have analyzed real world files, etc., testing seems to contradict what MQA are saying. Thus the ongoing questions.

1 Like

With all the discussion surrounding MQA, this is an interesting article from Linn.

Sour grapesā€¦

Another point of viewā€¦

Yes, but still our grapesā€¦

Interestingā€¦ How do you get an MQA 192 file in Roon? For this to be the case youā€™d have to do both the 1st stage unfolding (to 96) and 2nd stage processing (to 192) in Roon itself.

Additionally, since Roon provides upsampling, why wouldnā€™t it use the information in the unfolded stream (at 96) to determine upsampler parameters? Because MQA would not allow this?

I disagree. Just because the Linn business is similar to Meridianā€™s, it doesnā€™t mean that they are against something they consider bad simply because it isnā€™t them doing it.

Your question just goes to show that you havenā€™t actually taken the time to investigate and play with MQA files and albums, BEFORE making the kind of claim above and in your many other posts

The Format displays linked by @ncpl above are the formats displayed within Roon when a user ā€œimportsā€ an MQA Album from e.g. 2L or HighResAudio into their Library

It simply states the ā€œnativeā€ format of the FLAC fileā€¦and it also displays what the file will Unfold to when fully unfolded in an MQA capable DAC

If you had truly taken the time to investigate the merits / demerits of MQA, then you would already know this

1 Like

Bull.