MQA, why I might walkaway

Prior to Roon, I was actually quite happy listening to our collective CD collection and for convenience, SONOS in various rooms around the house, Kitchen, bedroom, garage etc.
My main systems comprised of a Hegel H160 amplifier with DAC built in, Audiolab 8200CD, Regar Planar 3, Musical Fidelity M1 pre-amp abd B&W CM8’s.
Along came Roon, I sampled for free and subscribed, for many reasons, which I wont go into here, simplify to say that it filled gaps in our CD collection and helped us spread our wings across genres. To cut the story short, I loved it and along came a Nucleus. By now the CD collection was ripped and on a Innuos S2, which then served as and end point.
Then came MQA, I was intrigued and read widely, the pros and cons I dont wish to debate here, So to sample I purchased a Project Pre box S2 and proceeded to experiment.
Following this I then read and dabbled in the world of DSP.
Im prone to waking early (This can be 4.00am), which for me is a period I tend to use to think, read and watch youtube etc, prior to the day starting and this morning I started wondering after watching the DARKO video on the HEGEL H590 Amp.
What if I connected the Nucleus direct to the Hegel H160, dropped the MQA, DSP and went back to basics.
So after the various tasks of the day, including the attic trip for Christmas tree and decorations, the Good Lady is happy watching a Chrimbo movie and decorating the tree.
Now, lets get cracking with cable changeover and tweaking Roon settings to allow Nucleus unfettered connectivity with Hegels DAC.
I have been listening to Robert Plant-Carry Fire, Sophia Pfister-Birdcage and Dead can dance including Dionysus and their Live efforts for a few hours now and it has been a revelation.
Im not aiming any criticism at MQA or the the Project Pre Box in anyway, I am just explaining my journey and that Im sat here smiling, thinking how great it is to listen to my music on the great components I have and those I experimented with.
Now, where is that article on the Chord Qutest…
As Hans Beekhuyzen says, Enjoy the Music.

1 Like

I get where your coming from. You get caught up in things and try all the new stuff but forget whats important,just listening to the music itself. My systems are now exactly where I want them, simple and sound great to me. I am not saying I wont tinker still but I have paired back boxes to its now pretty much one box and speakers for two rooms (AV aside) and DIY homebuilt pi/speaker combos which are one unit for the rest. MQA i can take or leave as with hires its not important.

It can be self perpetuating if you dont stop on occasion and get back to basics.
Its should be about the music, but the equipment is the hobby as well.

1 Like

The equipment is the hobby?
What a load of tosh. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue:… What? Oh! those…
The ridiculously oversized Quad 11Ls perched on my desk. The android phone, the iPhone, the iPad, the two DAPS and the UE Boom charging on the desk. The Pi feeding a Sp/Dif converter into the Naim unitiqute under the desk - what of them?

As I said, my view is personal and one size does not fit all.
Music primacy was lost for a short while but regained with the equipment as a supporting role, allbeit an expensive one, not to mention the compulsiveness…

Alex I should have added a few :slight_smile: my post was supposed to agree :slight_smile:

For my main rig I got rid of my complicated streamer>DAC>Multiple power supplies and amps setup and went back to an all in one.
went back and added smileys etc.

1 Like

I debated, whether it did or not and I got it wrong, wont be the last time!

1 Like