MQA won't work with Roon 1.5

Since the new Roon 1.5, MQA on my Mytek Brooklyn won’t work. The signal comes to the Brooklyn through a SonicOrbiter and UltraRendu and everything was working fine until the new 1.5 release. Now the MQA light on the Brooklyn does not come on and every MQA recording comes in at 24/96 or 24/88.2 I’ve tried putting the Tidal signal directly from Mac into the Brooklyn and everything works fine. How do I get this “improvement” to work through my Roon setup. Do I have to change the Roon settings or the Tidal settings? Please help?

Hi,

Can you post screenshots of:

• Roon’s signal path when playing a MQA track.
  • Roon’s audio device set for this Zone

Hello @Leslie_Reidel,

In the “Device Setup” screen for your ultraRendu, make sure that “MQA Capabilities” is set to “Decoder and Renderer”.

-John

Hi John,
Where do I find this screen?

Thanks,
Leslie

Hello @Leslie_Reidel,

The Device Setup screen is located in your Roon settings. To get to the Device Setup for the device…

1. Click on the ‘menu’ button on the top left of the Roon window
    a. you may have to scroll down the pop-over window that appears the left hand side until you see “settings”
  2. When the settings screen pops up, look for the “Audio” tab.
  3. In the “Audio” tab, find your ultraRendu zone, and click on the “gear” icon next to it.
  4. When the “Device Setup” screen is showing, you should see an option for “MQA capabilities”. Make sure this is set to “Decoder and Renderer”.
  5. When you have done that, make sure to click “save” on the bottom right hand corner of the window.

Let me know if this fixes things for you!

-John

Hi John,
It works fine now. Thanks for the clear instructions!

Best,
Leslie

Hi John,
One more question, please. Am I still getting the benefit of having a Mytek Brooklyn if Roon is set to both “Decoder and Renderer,” or has the new Roon 1.5 improved my situation?

Thanks, again,
Leslie

Hello @Leslie_Reidel,

Yes! If Roon detects that it is not necessary to use the built in MQA Core Decoder, it will not activate it and send the bit perfect stream to your device. If you activate a feature in Roon such as the DSP engine or volume leveling, we will still preserve the MQA signaling instructions so your Mytek can complete the MQA process, an industry first!

-John

That sounds great!

Thanks and best,
Leslie

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.