MSB Discrete DAC - USB module settings for MQA on Roon

Huh?! I thought the second and final MQA unfold can only be done at the DAC Level, not streamer. No?

I don’t think you have it working right yet. Your signal path should look like this:

There is nothing saying MQA Full Decoder.
If you need help getting that going let me or @thyname know.

Indeed I do! The only settings i see are when configuring the Audio device in Roon: “no MQA / decoder only / renderer only / decoder & renderer”. I assumed “no MQA” would pass the signal “as is” to the DAC but the signal path in Roon shows exactly the same as my above screenshot which -per your comments- means it’s not working properly. Perhaps “renderer only” and leave the “decoding” to the MSB?

Thanks in advance

I have my MSB Analog DAC set to:
MQA Capabilities: Decoder and Renderer
Advanced>Enable MQA Core Decoder

I’d also want to be sure the Antipodes isn’t doing anything to mess with the signal.
What is the input you got on your DAC?

On the first MQA settings, choose “Decoder and Renderer “. Then under advanced settings down below uncheck “allow MQA Core Decoder “.

Assuming you have the Pro USB or the MQA Quad USB module on your MSB? Scott has the Renderer module, so the path will look different than yours.

You may also need to check if you need any firmware updates.
Wasn’t that an initial problem for you @thyname?
If you do a firmware update its just like playing a song. Move the firmware WAV file (http://www.msbtechnology.com/faq/discrete-premier-firmware/ ) to your music storage device, force scan that disk so its in your library, then select and play the file. Make sure you don’t have any DSP controls going or it won’t be bitperfect and won’t load into the DAC.

Yes indeed. Current firmware on Discrete is 16.13

No. This setting refers to DACs. For MSB you need to select “Renderer and Decoder “.

The setting down below on that section, that comes after you hit the “advance” it will give you the option to turn on or off the MQA core decoding on Roon. I turned that off on mine

Hmmm. No luck…It took some effort to get the MSB Discrete to work with Anripodes (brilliant support btw by Tony Devitt who as I see is also a contributor in this forum…) so my Roon path shows the “generic” USB output (AntipodesEXUSB) rather than the specific MSB DAC (as a “network device”). If I enable Roon Direct on Antipodes I do see the MSB as an identified device which however is randomly becoming inaccessible/not found in the list

What is your setup? Does the Antipodes run the Core or is just a network renderer?
What I’m not understanding is why the Zone AntipodesEXUSB is recognized on the network with it’s own IP, but the MSB ProUSB V1.3 is apparentely connected directly to the Core. The ProUSB is the USB bridge to the ProISL input on the Discrete, right?
Since all ports on the Core are ALSA, that’s a Linux box, and I’m assuming it is the Antipodes.
The most direct way of doing this would seem to be
Router>Ethernet>Antipodes as Core>USB>ProUSB>ProISL input>Discrete DAC
I don’t want to undo what the Antipodes dealer is telling you. I just don’t understand how one endpoint is “Networked” and the other is on the Core (ALSA), and that is not immediately recognized by the Core.

1 Like

The Roon Server ‘Local Playback’ setting is enabled and Roon Ready is active. They are mutually exclusive as there can only be one active USB output on the Antipodes. Either uncheck ‘Local Playback’ and use Roon Ready, or delete, or unactivate, Roon Ready and use the Core outputs (the section above Networked). For example:

1 Like

Hi, following Tony’s advice I have retained only local Playback on the EX. But I cannot get the Discrete to show that it decodes MQA. I have contacted MSB and in the meanwhile, also following Tony’s instructions (private email) I have changed the settings so that the EX does the decoding

Will post if I hear from MSB

thanks all,

Greg

Forgot to comment here, mine is at 16.13 already out of the factory

This is fine. As you are using ProUSB module, it’s not going to show MSB doing the unfold on Roon path. The way to know is when you start playing an MQA Album or file, the MSB Discrete will briefly show MQA in big letters on its Display. If it does, it’s doing it’s job.

If it does not, turn Core decoding off on Roon settings.

What does your signal path look like @thyname?
I never thought about the MQA displaying. My Analog DAC is sort of lame in the display department (which is just one of many improvements in the Discrete). But since you mentioned that, I looked at my limited display when I started an MQA file and it briefly showed “OFS”, which (I think I understand) means it is decoding and rendering the signal.

Identical to Greg’s path he posted above, minus the MQA Core decoding I have turned off. That’s because he and I have USB modules, not the Renderer you have. I used to have the Renderer module on trial for a week, so I know that looks different, shows “enhanced” and MSB doing the MQA unfolding shown on path.

I was told by MSB that if MQA shows on display (or MQA. for Studio MQA), the Discrete DAC is doing the full unfold. Yours is different DAC model than Discrete, so not sure what and how the display shows.

Thanks! Got it.
Yeah, and when I had the Quad USB it did not have MQA.

Confirmed. Also MSB just emailed me that in case of full decoding and on top of the “MQA” being indicated on screen the LED on the ProUSB adapter changes color from white to blue/green signaling proper decoding (I had not noticed but indeed it does).

Now the real fun starts: does MQA sound better :thinking:?

Thanks for your posts!

Greg

Very interesting on the ProUSB module adapter. I only have the regular Quad MQA USB module, so this is good to know. Eventually I may upgrade to the ProUSb

Well… I took the plunge and got the ProISL USB combo today. I am very happy with the decision!

2 Likes