Multi-channel sound source does not play properly

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Roon iMac 27inch 2019 Mem 40GB macOS Mojave
Roon Bridge Mac mini 2012 16GB macOS Mojave

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

NAS-HUB-iMac-Mac mini-DAC

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

PrismSound Orpheus(FireWire Device)

Description Of Issue

Multi-channel sound sources can only be played in 2 channels. Multi-channel mixing is limited to channel mapping.

Audirvana will play 5.1 channel normally.

Hi @Tomonori_Katou,

Thanks for opening this separate thread. Can I please ask you to provide a screenshot of the Device Setup tab for the FireWire zone, specifically showing the Advanced section? It should look something like this:

You can access device setup by right-clicking the zone name in the bottom right-hand corner, in the Device Picker.

Afterwards, please try playing a multichannel file and share a screenshot of your Signal Path, which should look like this:
563a50b3-d733-42e5-82e9-af5b60c5ea96

hi.
There is no channel layout item in the device setup.

Multi-channel mixing is limited to channel mapping only, but when you look at the signal path, it is downmixed.

Hi @Tomonori_Katou,

Can you share a screenshot of the Device Setup tab and the Signal Path when music is playing? Are you using the “System Output” zone or are you using the DAC driver?

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Share the screenshot.

I am using a DAC driver instead of the system output.
HQPlayer can also set 5.1 channels. I don’t have a license now, so I can’t make a sound.

Orpheus

Signal Path

HQ Player

Hi @Tomonori_Katou,

Thanks for sharing that screenshot, this is strange behavior indeed. Can I please ask you to do the following?

1. Manually send me a copy of your RAATServer logs folder, it’s located in a similar location as to the previous logs you sent, except instead of navigating to the Roon folder, please navigate to the RAATServer folder and zip those up.

2. Can you share a screenshot of what Audio Midi displays when you select the Firewire zone and click on “Format”? The screenshot should show the following:
    Max%20Sample%20Rate%20OSX

Hi.

First, send screenshots and logs.

And in the built-in input, there is a format item, but on FireWire devices it has been renamed source.

I made a mistake.
There is a format item.
It is every two channels.

I’m sorry for personal matters.
I have to give a funeral because there is something sad about my family.
I would like to cooperate on multi-channel issues, but it may not take time.
The trial license is about to expire, so I thought I would buy it, but it seems to wait until next month.

Hi @Tomonori_Katou,

Sorry to hear about the sad news, my condolences. I have forwarded the information you provided above to the technical team and am awaiting some feedback from them regarding the issue. I will be sure to let you know once I have further news.

Thank you for your kindness.
I love Roon, so I will continue to cooperate.

1 Like

Hi @Tomonori_Katou,

I appreciate your patience while I had a chance to discuss this behavior further with the technical team.

Based on the screenshots, your Firewire zone is using multiple streams to perform the multi-channel playback, meaning each of the streams is “seen” as 2-channel outputs.

At the present time, Roon is not able to support these types of output streams, however, we do have an active ticket with the dev team to see if this would be possible in a future build of Roon.

I can’t comment on a timeline of when we this ticket will be reviewed, and until it has been reviewed your multi-stream zone will only be able to output 2 channel content.

Good morning. I understand your opinion.

It means that it cannot be realized with the current Roon design.

However, since Audirvana is capable of multi-channel, and there are multiple music files in multi-channel, I would be happy if you could consider using Roon.

Hi @Tomonori_Katou,

This is correct.

As I mentioned, we are actively investigating what can be done here and there is a ticket pending review by the devs. I can’t comment on when this will be reviewed, but we are interested in investigating possible improvements in this area of the app. Thanks!

Good morning, noris,

Of course I use Roon. There’s no other fun software like this.
This is especially great when TIDAL is linked.

We can’t register for TIDAL yet in Japan.

If Amazon Music HD now supports it!

Thank you!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.