Multi network access to roon core

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

QNAP TS-253B
Firmware version: 4.5.2.1630
CPU: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU J3455 @ 1.50GHz
Roon: 1.8 (build 783) stable

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Google WIFI
Model: NLS-1304-25
Software version: 13099.118.19

Network 1: WAN IP - 192.168.1.xx
Network 2: WAN IP - 192.168.1.xxx

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Apple MacBook Pro: 15-inch, 2017
Software Version: 10.14.6

Description Of Issue

I have Roon Core setup on my QNAP (details above).
I have two telephone lines and two separate networks in my property.
I have the QNAP on network 1 and can access Roon via wifi over network 1.
My question is, what are the steps to access Roon from network 2?

Both these are the same IP subnet and cannot be routed by a router.
The router does not know which of these, the packets should be delivered to.

You need to CDIR these aka use different subnet masks or you need two different IP ranges.
Eg. :
Net 1 : 192.168.1.0/24
Net 2 : 192.168.2.0/24

WAN IP means it is connected to the internet?
If so, you have a problem with a non routeable IP range connected to the internet.

Roon Core can be reached on different subnets, i have it that way, but devices like a streamers etc. may possibly not.

Hi @PeterD, thanks so much for your reply. I think I follow but also think google wifi maybe problematic to configure as you suggest. Are you aware of a detailed sequence of steps to achieve what you’re suggesting?

I was kind of hoping for similar functionality to Plex’s remote access: Remote Access | Plex Support.

It turns out a (wired) solution to this was easier than I thought with the QNAP TS-253B specifically. It has two ethernet ports, I added a wired connection from my second router to the QNAP, enabled service binding and can now access Roon core (wired) from my Macbook on the other network :tada:

Next is hoping my streamer does the same and also try to work out how to access over the wifi.

1 Like