Multi-part composition grouping - Prefer file data?

On some albums, when I select “Prefer file data” for “Multi-part composition grouping” I obtain the expected compositions.

On other albums, I rather than the option “Prefer file data” I see something similar to “12 Tracks, 12 Performances”. Choosing this option does not give the expected compositions, basically I get one composition per track, which is not correct.

I believe none of my albums have Work/Part tags, and all use the same track Title format “work: part”.

I would like to resolve this problem with the latter albums. Is there any way to diagnose the cause of these “12 Tracks, 12 Performances” messages?

Thanks,
Mike

Ok, here are screenshots.

Note both of these albums below are manually set to be “Unidentified” so that I can force the usage of file metadata using my preferred track titles.

This first album I see the “Prefer file data” option:

Track listing with compositions disabled, showing track titles from the file’s metadata, with the format “work: part”:

Shows “Prefer file data” option:

Shows the resulting compositions, everything is OK:

This second album I see the problem, the “Prefer file data” option is missing, instead I see “12 Tracks, 12 Performances”:

Track listing with compositions disabled, showing track titles from the file’s metadata, with the format “work: part”:

Shows “12 Tracks, 12 Performances” option rather than “Prefer file data”:

Shows the resulting compositions, everything is wrong with 1 track per composition:

Hey @Michael_D_Schuster,

Would you mind sharing both of the albums that you mention above with us?

Ideally, you can zip up the entire folder and send me private message containing a shared dropbox link. If you don’t have Dropbox or need another way to send the media, just let me know.

We will take a look at these albums and should be able to get a better understanding of what you’re seeing.

Thank you!
Dylan

Hello Dylan,

I discovered the cause of the problem. On the second album, tracks do in fact have a Work tag but no Part tag. I was mistaken and had not seen this before.

As an example, track 1 has Title “Concerto for two violins in D minor, BWV 1043: 1. Vivace” and Work “Concerto for Two Violins in D minor bwv 1043”. The work names mismatch, and as I mentioned, the track has no Part tag.

I think I can easily edit Work and add Part to resolve the problem. Also, simply deleting Work might be another option.

Note, on the first album Roon reports missing Work/Part information. This warning is missing on the second album. In retrospect, IMO this is a hint as to what is going on.

Thank you,
Mike