Multichannel audio via ALSA optical output on a Linux box

Hi,

I read a similar topic where a user was initially unable to select multichannel audio under the device setup for an HDMI output, which was resolved following the rollout of a fix.

I have the same issue but for the optical output (labelled ALC888 Digital). I can select multichannel audio for the HDMI output, but unfortunately this doesn’t help me as I have an older receiver that has optical and coax digital audio inputs only.

The audio works fine apart from this. Is this a bug, or is there a setup step I missed somewhere? If it’s relevant I’m running RoonBridge on a Zotac Z-Box which hosts Libreelec. Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
James

1 Like

S/PDIF output does not support multichannel PCM. Your current components will be limited to two channel.

AJ

Thanks Andrew, that makes sense then.

The multichannel files I was hoping to play are ripped from some of my SACD’s as either AC3 or DTS files so the PCM S/PDIF restriction shouldn’t be relevant to those. I have a feeling these formats aren’t currently supported by Roon, but if you know otherwise it would be good to know if there’s a way I can configure Roon to play these with my current set up.

Thanks,
James

1 Like