Multichannel playback recently stopped working

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Nucleus running Roon Version 1.7 (build 710)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Synology NAS through Pakedge switch to Nucleus via Ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Nucleus to Oppo 205 Via HDMI, Oppo 205 to Marantz SR 8012 via 7.1 analog

Description Of Issue

System has played (mostly) beautifully until approximately the last Roon update. I say mostly because every now and then for months the channel mapping occasionally gets screwed up when I start Roon. However, since approximately the last Roon update the channel mapping either is screwed up every time (e.g. center channel playing through left surround speaker) or worse yet, when I can get the correct channels to play anything, the center channel is very low volume and quite distorted. In fact everything played through Roon sounds a little off compared to my originals played through the Oppo on physical media (e.g. Sam Cooke’s Night Beat on SACD versus multichannel [3 - LRC] flac through Roon; the vocals are night and day different; the center channel is way way off (quiet and notably distorted sounding) through Roon and even the music coming through the Left and Right speakers sounds different.

I’ve rebooted My NAS, I’ve rebooted Roon, and I’m at a loss after months of playing the same files normal with no problems and no other settings monkeyed with. Please help! Thanks.

I have the same setup but with a Denon x8500h. That is about the same as your Marantz but with 13 channel vs 11 channel. Can’t offer anything on the channel mapping issue but I have a question on the sound being off.

Playing via hdmi to OPPO, the 7.1 analog connection has the OPPO dac doing the decoding and bypassing the receiver’s Room Correction, and the hdmi out from OPPO to receiver has the receiver dac doing the decoding and Room correction. Do you notice the sound issue using both HDMI out and 7.1 out from the OPPO?

Not suggesting this has anything to do with your issue but I’m curious if the problem exists using one or the other DAC’s or if it is the same for both.

I get different sound between the OPPO 7.1 out and HDMI out because it is different Dac’s doing the D/A conversion and the loss or room correction with 7.1

Thanks for the suggestion; I will check, but I have only ever had it set up for analog from the Oppo to the Marantz to take advantage of the Oppo’s superior multichannel DAC.

Thank you - the answer was the HDMI worked as it should have, and the problem was with the analog output only. That made me realize that around the same time as the last Roon update, I had forgotten that I had changed the “HDMI output” function on the Oppo from LPCM to HDMI (to get Atmos playback through an MKV file where it was encoded as MLP). So in sum this was apparently my fault not Roon’s but if anyone can explain why changing that setting on the Oppo made the difference (and why it played weirdly when that setting was wrong) I’d appreciate it. Thanks again!

Sorry, I meant I changed the HDMI Output setting on the Oppo from Bitstream back to LPCM, but my confusion lies in why it matters what an HDMI Output setting is when I’m outputting through the analog connections anyway (or is that the point?! i.e. I’m choosing to output the translated analog signal versus passing through a digital signal from the Oppo?)

That has me confused.

I have not spent much time testing the various OPPO settings. It is pretty much out of the box except for the speakers settings. I had the Denon Audyssy process do its things then I manually entered those speakers setting into the OPPO speaker configuration. That’s about it.

I’ll take a look at the settings. Perhaps the setting did effect the HDMI signal before it got to the DAC for the 7.1 analog out processing. That could be a question for OPPO support.

Thank you!

Hello @James_Monagle,

Thanks for letting us know you were able to resolve this one!

The Linux audio driver gets its format via EDID, and changing that setting in Oppo is likely changing output is changing EDID response.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.