Multipart tracks [Resolved]

Hi all,

I can’t find this feature in the manual.
On the top right hand corner there’s a Part 1 of 2 indicator. Funny thing is, it’s the same track twice. It is not like I have the same track twice on collectors album or anything. This happens with several tracks.
On one occasion it was in 19 parts, but those were all different. That may have been an album that was not properly cue-splitted. Soon as I find that one again I’ll know more.
There is a locked topic called ‘Multipart tracks’ which sort of describes what I see but there is no solution there (seems to have resolved itself; I like those best :slight_smile: )

Addition:
Ooh boy, it’s worse than I thought. It’s not occasional, it’s almost consistent. I selected this artist as an example because I remebered seeing it here. Now 7 out of 10 tracks show this behavior. Something to do with not properly clearing playlists, maybe? Funny thing is, I’ve got nothing Queued.

2nd Addition:
It’s sspreading like a plague. Half the files in my Blues genre are now double. Any link to using both my own Genre and Roons?

Hi @Egbert_Braam ----- Thank you for the report and sharing this observation with us, the feedback is appreciated.

Moving forward, to help aide in my understanding of this behavior may I kindly ask you for the following:

1. A brief but accurate description of your current setup as seen here.

2. If possible, can you please provide me with a copy of an album you are noticing this behavior with via a dropbox download link in PM addressed to me?

-Eric

Music library stored on Synology DS415+

Roon Core on Synology DS415+
Roon version 1.3 (build 234) (64bit)
Roon Installer script 1.0
Loaded on exernal Sony 128GB USB3 SSD

Roon Remote on Windows 10
Roon version 1.3 (build 234) (64bit)

Dropbox will have to wait a moment, I don’t have an account yet

1 Like

Hi @Egbert_Braam ----- Thank you for following up with me, confirming that the media has been received and has been added to my queue for testing.

Once our team has concluded their evaluation, I will be sure to provide an update to you asap. Your patience is very appreciated!

-Eric

been doing some more detecting, no conclusions so far. Studied tags on various tracks. No consistency on file size (16-44, 24-48, 24-96) tooling (DBPoweramp, EAC, Cuesplitter, whatever), filepath, or anything else that came to mind.
Anything in particular you’d like me to look at?
Addition:
just found an instance where it makes sense. Shirley Horn, Garden of the blues. There’s a four-part ‘Garden of the Blues Suite’ that’s added to the playlist as one item, four titles.
Addition 2:
I unchecked the import setting Use genre from Roon; makes no difference.

Hi @Egbert_Braam ---- Thank you for your patience while I have been looking into this behavior you’ve reported to us.

Moving forward, I had a chance to test with the provided media (thank you) and unfortunately I am not seeing the same issues on my end :head_bandage: I left the content in my test library for a few days just to confirm that I would not end up with same issue and I did not.

In light of this, may I very kindly ask you to please provide the following screenshots:

• Your “storage” tab in Roon (found under settings).

• I would like to see where the media is being stored. More specifically, I would like to see the folder structure you are using for one of the albums you are noticing this behavior with.

-Eric

There’s a new one. It’s funny. This is part one, of one. Plays only once.
What is the intended function of this part- feauture, and what is it’s trigger?

Hi @Egbert_Braam ----- Thank you for the follow up and my apologies for the slow response here.

Moving forward, using “Long time Gone” as the example, I would like to verify what your “work part” file path(s) look like for this content. Would you please provide screen shots of the following:

• Navigate to the mentioned content in Roon.

• Select the parts and when the “edit” bar appears on the top of the screen, choose “view file info”.

• Once the “view file info” window is displayed, please provide screenshot that highlight the content’s file paths.

-Eric

@Eric
Is this what you mean?

I think it is a selection bug.
When I use search for ‘Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young’ and then ‘play artist’, it get the double feature.
When I navigate to the artist from the main menu, then select & play the album, I get the ‘part one from one’ like you can see in the previous Dylan screenie.

Hi @Egbert_Braam ---- Yup :clap: :thumbsup: this is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you!

Ok, I see that the second “Path to File” section is cut off in the screen grab, can you verify what the path looks like? For example the first one reads:

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young > (1971) 4 Way Street > “2” . 01 - Pre-Road Downs.flac

-Eric

Okay,
First let me show you this one, where it seems to make sort of sense as all individual tracks are presented in the ‘parts of’.

And here’s the other one:

In case you wondered, the /2/ you see is the disc-2 in the filepath. That is not the source of the issue, as it also happens to singe disc albums (and I don’t use /1/ if there is no /2/

Sorry to ask for more screenshots here @Egbert_Braam – just want to make sure we’re understanding this.

Can you give us a screenshots of:

• The CSNY album details page
  • The Now Playing/Queue screen if you just click Long Time Gone and play it?

The confusing part here is that if Long Time Gone was being recognized as a multi-part work, I would expect to see indented track titles on the album details screen – it seems like that’s not happening but I’d like to make sure we’re looking at the right screens before we move forward here.

Thanks for your patience on this @Egbert_Braam!

Album detail:

Now Playing / Queue:

This is what the Charlie Brown album looks like:

This looks different from the screenshot in your original post:

Are you doing something different from the original screenshot, or have things changed here?

As for the Charlie Brown album, I don’t love the behavior here, but this is currently working as designed. When our metadata providers tell us that a number of tracks together comprise a multi-part work, Roon will preserve that context and treat these as a single composition.

This works great when you’re talking about a symphony, but it’s less useful in the rare cases where our providers tell us that a piece of pop music is a multi-part work. We’ve heard similar complaints about The Who’s Tommy (which also comes in a single work) as well as for many operas. We’re working on it, but this is a known issue, and not related to what you’re seeing on the CSNY album.

It’s like I stated a few posts back, it depends on how I navigate.
When I search for ‘Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young’ and then ‘play artist’, it get the double feature.
When I navigate to the artist from the main menu, then select & play the album, I get the ‘part one from one’