Multiple core(s) in Roon Architecture?

Instead of having a dedicated PC (like Rock) running Roon Core (or Roon Server ?) 24/7
Is it possible and does it make sense to have several PC’s with the capability of being alternatively The Core server for Roon. ?

Knowing the Audio Files are stored on a Nas which could also if necessary store the Roon library

I dont think your question makes sense… Yes you can, But why?

I guess it would make sense for someone that has a laptop or laptops and a desktop that isn’t on all the time.

Multiple’s in one place?
Maybe… I guess… :stuck_out_tongue:

Switching cores between different machines so one can turn off one machine and turn on another? Only makes sense if one has no network and so, no endpoints. Otherwise, absurd.

It suppose it makes sense if you have nothing but laptops and a network endpoint.

Example:
You are home with your laptop.
Your wife is home at another time with her laptop.

It make sense in the way that if your endpoints are some Windows PC then you simply have to turn on you PC + amplifier
in the room you want to listen to music (like you did turn on your cd player + amplifier in the past), each PC being connecting to a “central” library.

But … according to Roon knowledge base, best audio quality leads to have roon core running on a different machine than roon remote and roon Output …this audio quality issue is leading to have one central machine running Roon core only.

You’ve got the cause/effect backwards. Isolating library management from playback is a side benefit of the architecture, but it’s not the main reason for it. We have a pretty long piece of documentation defending and explaining the idea of the core (and more to your point, centralization of library management) here: Why Core?.

Putting the Roon library on the NAS and having a bunch of “cores” sharing it would not work–from a performance standpoint, from a data durability standpoint, or from a reliability standpoint.

2 Likes

Thanks for helping me understanding Roon architecture

regards

@Aston seems like you are leaning towards needing something low power that remains on 24x7 for whoever needs it - so maybe ROCK on NUC or Nucleus when it is available. Optionally depending on your needs for up sampling and DSP features, and the size of your library then perhaps running the core on your NAS might also be an option (in the interim) to consider if you indeed have a capable NAS

I would prefer not to have any additional machine running 24x7 knowing that my Synology is already running 24x 7

I have 30k audio files and I do not think that the Marvel Armada 2 cores of my DS 214+ will do the trick to be a Roon Server. (it is only my deduction from what I have read on this forum)
I do not oversample or use any DSP.

Maybe a ROCK on NUC connected to a Teac dac (that I already have) could be the solution for replacing my “Old kitchen” system but
it is not the ideal solution => Spotify would be missing, and this is not a very “compact” system

The cheapest solution might be to upgrade your NAS.

It doesn’t have to be 24/7. I only have my NAS and PCs and MAC up when I’m awake and might potentially be using them.

Modern PC BIOS has an option to start machine at a specific time, with Windows software taking the responsibility to shut machine down. Both MAC and Synology have settings to start/shut down at specific times. Little more difficult on native Linux machines. If your endpoints are SBCs they can be, safely and frugally, left on 24/7.

Don’t forget the Roon licence model. As far as I understand it you need a dedicated licence for each core. Quite expensive solution.

Hi @Iceman,
Not quite the full story … provided only one Roon Core is run at a time only one licence is required.
Mind, it still wouldn’t be a great user experience, having to maintain those independent Roon databases.

I use two cores. I have a linux box with my hi-rez files, Roon and Tidal. My other is a tricked out PC that I use with AudioOptimizer, Dirac, Roon and Tidal with my MP3 iTunes library. I don’t use a NAS. I love it! It’s fun to tweek around with the PC, but when I get serious I switch over to the linux box. I don’t leave either running overnight. Both computers are in a closet behind my gear so I don’t hear a thing. Works very well for me.