Multiple outputs for a Dante interface

Hello,

I am using Roon Server on a Windows 2019 Server operating system. I use DVS (Dante Virtual Soundcard) as audio device. Everything works wonderfully so far and the sound is very very good.

Now the DVS has a total of 8 outputs. Unfortunately, with the current version of Roon, I can only set up one zone.

I would like to use more than 2 channels of the DVS and send e.g. channel 1&2 (stereo) to my main system and channel 3&4 (stereo) to my headphone system. One DAC per system is connected via Dante interface.

At the moment I have both DAC’s on one Dante stream (channel 1&2) and can therefore only transmit the same music signal.

Kind regards

Ralph

I would also like to be able to do this. I’m a commercial integrator and we are looking to do whole-home installs with Roon as the central control system. Getting RAAT from Roon to multi-channel amps running sound for various rooms/hallways/bathrooms/etc is the sticking point right now. Optimally we’d be able to run DVS on a bridge computer and have it send DANTE to our amps, and then have RAAT-compatible streaming devices for the showpiece sound systems.

I am surprised this is not supported yet. We could sell this system to Private yachts and homes more easily.

I take it back. I am now using 8 channels on Virtual Dante Soundcard on a single Windows machine with Roon. Works great?

Hi,

can you actually send 4 different 2 channel audio stream at the same time? That would be really great!

Please explain to me how you configure this in Roon. I don’t know any way to do that and I claim that I know Roon quite well.

Kind regards

Ralph

How about 8, I actually meant 8 stereo so 16 channel. Here is something I wrote today to Roon Fanatics FB group:

NUC on the right is my beloved Roon Rock server (NUC10i5FNK Core i5, 16GB RAM). The other NUC in the middle runs Windows and Roon as an endpoint.

I have been using Roon for several years now, only with Tidal, no need for local files. Mainly because of the multiroom capability, but the superb interface and the Roon Radio are also important ones and definitely no going back to something else after experiencing this. I honestly thought I am pretty familiar with how Roon works, but had absolutely no idea that the different outputs you enable, can also work as individual audio zones. I kind of always figured they would just be outputting the same stream as the other outputs on that particular machine.

After this “ahaa” light flashed above my head, I went and installed a Virtual Dante audio card on this Windows machine. Maybe not all of you are familiar with Dante, but it is a professional audio over IP protocol. It can live on the same network as everything else and is widely used within the Pro audio world where you need to get multiple channels from one place to another. You can set up the virtual sound card in such way that Windows and Roon both recognize it as 8 different audio interfaces. I then went ahead and named these outputs as (kitchen, living room, bed room, etc). And sure enough this one Windows NUC can now handle all of the zones at the same time. It is not even a very beefy machine, perhaps i3 and 8 years old at least.

From there the audio goes to the QSC audio processor which is shown under the NUC units on the photo. This is the DSP for the whole house. It handles the routing, EQ, etc. This again is from the Pro side of things, but widely used also in higher end residential projects. I am so happy with this setup now, no need to have multiple different streamers and convert the audio to analog before taking it in to the QSC processor. It does not support MQA, but the quality it offers me is fine. I am building a dedicated listening/cinema room and I already have a Meridian streamer for that one.

One cool thing is also that by having so many streams available. I can have one which is called “whole house”. I have then routed the audio in the processor so that this stream goes to every room. No need to group the zones separately.