Multiple Streaming / Family Accounts and Roon Profiles (Tidal, Qobuz, ...)

Hi Lukas,
Thanks so much for sharing this solution. I see how it can be used as a work-around. My hope is that Roon will come up with a more direct solution that supports both true, multi-user libraries in Roon, as well as linking multiple Tidal (or other partner, streaming platforms) accounts.
Thanks again!

Hi Lukas,

Like Mike I am wondering how that is a solution.
when I am in the office listening to my tidal account through Roon and my wife is downstairs listening to something else through Roon and she chooses a tidal song I will be kicked out of Tidal.
So yes if you are out door at least you are not kicked out, but within your Roon environment you are.
the only way to deal wit this is to allow multiple Tidal accounts within one Roon Core.
So I am hoping that this will be taken care of in version 1.8 as we are with four in our house and we all like listening to music.

2 Likes

when I am in the office listening to my tidal account through Roon and my wife is downstairs listening to something else through Roon and she chooses a tidal song I will be kicked out of Tidal

Did you try it? Because that’s not how it works for me. I can play multiple different Tidal songs on different Roon Bridges at the same time no problem. All using the same Tidal account.

I did a quick screen capture demonstrating what I mean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zdX8FIjTmQ

It’s only when you use the Tidal App or Web UI with the same Tidal account Roon Core is using that you get kicked out. As long as Roon Core is the only thing using that account I seem to be able to start as many parallel Tidal streams on as many Roon bridges as I want.

That’s strange. Last year just for fun I have tried how many Tidal streams Roon could handle. I came to no less then 14 devices simultaniously streaming different Tidal content. Something must be wrong in your case, wortwhile to ask support.

It’s sad that even after so many years there’s not even a single feedback from roon regarding this limitation.

Going by the roon knowledge base on the profile I doubt we will ever get support for profile based streaming services.

Profiles do not contain library level changes, so you can’t use profiles to have different libraries per user. For that, we suggest using Focus, Tags, or the profiles favorites.

As a partial workaround I’m running separate roon cores for my wife and me - this still has it’s limitation as we can’t access our individual roon core simultaneously (not without paying for roon twice), so when she uses roon I use the Tidal app (not a big issue in my case as I’ll be on my headphones on these occasions - small house with little to nonexisting sound insulation between rooms)

I kind of understand where roon is comming from and back in the days where I had a just one big music library for the both of us, the roon implementation works perfectly fine. Times are changing and with streaming services being the norm for many years now to implement it into roon afterwards is more complicated as they never intended/imagined that use case.
Having the individual Tidal account information saved in the profile is easy and would probably take less than a coffe brake for the roon developer. The issue is how to feed that information to the core and the effect it has on it in regards of suggestions and so forth.

The future will tell if they are going to take the necessary steps to implement proper profiles or lose out a big portion of the probably younger generation to the streaming providers completely.
If I were satisfied with spotify I wouldn’t need roon and I think it’s only a matter of time before one of the higher quality streaming platforms is going to support upnp out of the box (one is all that’s needed as the rest will need to follow suit)

just my 2bit

2 Likes

Another vote for this feature. Currently in trial, strongly considering getting roon, but I’m seeing several downsides to roon for families, including the lack of support for multiple tidal accounts.

Pieter van den Berg

+1 as when I leave home and my daughter wants to use room tidal looks me out of my music…

I really can’t explain my wife to have an endpoint in every single room, while neglecting her Tidal library.
She also wants to have multiroom to listen to her music.
Having single user libraries boils down to being ignorent to all others in the household.
Please improve in the near future!

1 Like

+1 for this feature request.

+1 for this, honestly this is breaking my desire to continue with Roon. My wife and i have very different playlists and do not want to try and manage a “home” vs “away” Tidal setup…

1 Like

+1 on the request (TIDAL family account). I just realized that this is not possible, but absolutely should be (no brainer - see all arguments above). Please make it happen!

We have now used a third Tidal account for roon an merge our tidal accounts via soundiiz manually every now and then. It works still it costs aditionally 36,- € every year and is labour intensive and not automated.

Would be great to see family integration of multiple accounts by roon!

I’d like to vote for this as well.

We have Tidal family and the kids need to add their own Tidal account to their Roon profiles.

I don’t want them polluting my Tidal profile with the trash they listen to.

Please and thanks.

You realize that the kids are saying the same, do you? :rofl: :innocent:

2 Likes

Oh completely, I said that tongue in cheek!

Luckily they haven’t infiltrated the Roon forum yet so I can trash their music tastes for a bit longer with no comeback.

In all seriousness it’s great they listen to music, and even better that I have to keep retrieving my HD650’s from my daughter’s room 'cos “they sound better!”

2 Likes

I also would like this feature. I honestly am surprised that it has not already been implemented and would think that Qobuz and Tidal would have incentive to aid in the development of this feature. This would encourage the fair use and additional cash flow of family accounts.

My spouse and I would like to be streaming from Roon at the same time without concern of Qobuz accounts conflicting as Qobuz only allows a single stream from one account.

+1! This would really help integration with these services.

+1 please!

Whilst I think this is a good idea, think about how complex it would be for one core to manage this. It would require several databases one per user, authenticating multiple accounts. The requirements for core would grow exponentially. Given that so many already run on underpowered cores it would likely end up being less than stellar and cause way more support issues. It would require whole remodel of how the database works to. Roons database for one account currently is pretty damned large with multiples to handle it would be enormous. Remember what you add from streaming in Roon is not managed from Tidal or Qobuz the entire database is managed on your core it’s not like just switching accounts on the streaming app.

I honestly don’t know of any servers or hardware that supports multiple family accounts unless your using Spotify or Tidal connect which is a very different model to what Roon does as that account is tied to the streaming app not the player.

Plex server whilst it has separate users database and tracks their playing history etc it still only allows one streaming account.

1 Like

Plex easily allows multiple users to have their own accounts with their own libraries and statistics. You are right that it streams one per account. Yet, this is an arbitrary limit. All Plex would have to do is rework how TIDAL is linked to accounts. There is little to no computational increase in playing two local audio files vs streaming those same files via Qobuz or Tidal. If someone has a system so underpowered they likely weren’t streaming to 2+ zones at the same time anyway.

Yes, Roon developers would have to put in some work as the databases are not currently designed for this. However, to be viable in the future with all streaming services going lossless Roon is going to have to adapt. This is a simple way to support both themselves and the streaming services that are vital to their business model. Honestly, its really surprising that this is not a feature included with such an expensive service that touts its ability to recommend and curate music while combining streaming and local music. Roon is selling themselves as a home-wide solution to push music to all of your systems and speakers. The functionality of this system is greatly limited by only being fully available to one person at a time (a feature that they tout when purchasing their very expensive NUC).

Don’t get me wrong - I love Roon and wouldn’t give it up (I find it’s very much worth the money). BUT considering the price tag/model, advertising of how features are supposed to work, and the heating competition it seems plain silly to not pick up a feature so integral in making Roon a one stop music workhorse.