Multiple Streaming / Family Accounts and Roon Profiles (Tidal, Qobuz, ...)

This is pretty critical for a multi room home audio solution when using streaming platforms. As this is all managed from the roon app as opposed to casting from the tidal app, the ability to use a Tidal account per Roon profile is practically a requirement. At this point, I’ve already created a family account with multiple users just so that Roon and Plex don’t interfere with each other.

1 Like

+10 to make it visible

Currently evaluating Roon and this feature is essential for us. Found this thread because I couldn’t believe it isn’t implemented.
Absolute no-go for my wife to have her Roon profile filled up with my Tidal Albums and not being able to add her own account. Also only one person being able to listen to streaming music is very limiting. I understand Roon was primarily developed for local music but we’re only using it for its new music discovery and multi-room functionality.

4 Likes

Hey Roon Support,…
This thread is a continuous request from your customers since 2017 to support multiple Tidal and Qobuz accounts. And what strikes me most is that there has been not a single answer from the Roon support team.

please keep us updated…

4 Likes

I want to add to this with a specific use case that I recently ran into. We are running Roon at home and have my Tidal account attached to it. My wife and I both have Roon profiles and we have a Family Tidal plan.

I was at my sculpture studio the other day and wanted to listen to Tidal. I tried but it would not let me because my account was being used by Roon to play at home, i.e. my wife was streaming something from Tidal through Roon at home.

So even though we both have separate Roon profiles, and separate Tidal accounts via a family plan, because we are forced to use a single Tidal account across all of Roon, I was unable to use my Tidal user account while off-site if my wife was using Tidal through Roon at home at the same time.

3 Likes

+1 for a real Tidal family account integration.
Will Roon 1.8 offer this?

4 Likes

Hi Mike,

we had this very same issue but since figured out that Tidal allows us to play multiple streams in different rooms simultaneously if they are all played through the same Roon Core.
What we’ve done now is create a dedicated Roon Tidal account within our Family account. And then my wife and I have separate Tidal accounts for outside our home. So three in total.

It’s a bit tedious in terms of having to add all Artists/Albums multiple times, but it works around the issue of not being able to listen on the go if somebody is listening at home.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Hi Lukas,
Thanks so much for sharing this solution. I see how it can be used as a work-around. My hope is that Roon will come up with a more direct solution that supports both true, multi-user libraries in Roon, as well as linking multiple Tidal (or other partner, streaming platforms) accounts.
Thanks again!

Hi Lukas,

Like Mike I am wondering how that is a solution.
when I am in the office listening to my tidal account through Roon and my wife is downstairs listening to something else through Roon and she chooses a tidal song I will be kicked out of Tidal.
So yes if you are out door at least you are not kicked out, but within your Roon environment you are.
the only way to deal wit this is to allow multiple Tidal accounts within one Roon Core.
So I am hoping that this will be taken care of in version 1.8 as we are with four in our house and we all like listening to music.

2 Likes

when I am in the office listening to my tidal account through Roon and my wife is downstairs listening to something else through Roon and she chooses a tidal song I will be kicked out of Tidal

Did you try it? Because that’s not how it works for me. I can play multiple different Tidal songs on different Roon Bridges at the same time no problem. All using the same Tidal account.

I did a quick screen capture demonstrating what I mean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zdX8FIjTmQ

It’s only when you use the Tidal App or Web UI with the same Tidal account Roon Core is using that you get kicked out. As long as Roon Core is the only thing using that account I seem to be able to start as many parallel Tidal streams on as many Roon bridges as I want.

That’s strange. Last year just for fun I have tried how many Tidal streams Roon could handle. I came to no less then 14 devices simultaniously streaming different Tidal content. Something must be wrong in your case, wortwhile to ask support.

It’s sad that even after so many years there’s not even a single feedback from roon regarding this limitation.

Going by the roon knowledge base on the profile I doubt we will ever get support for profile based streaming services.

Profiles do not contain library level changes, so you can’t use profiles to have different libraries per user. For that, we suggest using Focus, Tags, or the profiles favorites.

As a partial workaround I’m running separate roon cores for my wife and me - this still has it’s limitation as we can’t access our individual roon core simultaneously (not without paying for roon twice), so when she uses roon I use the Tidal app (not a big issue in my case as I’ll be on my headphones on these occasions - small house with little to nonexisting sound insulation between rooms)

I kind of understand where roon is comming from and back in the days where I had a just one big music library for the both of us, the roon implementation works perfectly fine. Times are changing and with streaming services being the norm for many years now to implement it into roon afterwards is more complicated as they never intended/imagined that use case.
Having the individual Tidal account information saved in the profile is easy and would probably take less than a coffe brake for the roon developer. The issue is how to feed that information to the core and the effect it has on it in regards of suggestions and so forth.

The future will tell if they are going to take the necessary steps to implement proper profiles or lose out a big portion of the probably younger generation to the streaming providers completely.
If I were satisfied with spotify I wouldn’t need roon and I think it’s only a matter of time before one of the higher quality streaming platforms is going to support upnp out of the box (one is all that’s needed as the rest will need to follow suit)

just my 2bit

2 Likes

Another vote for this feature. Currently in trial, strongly considering getting roon, but I’m seeing several downsides to roon for families, including the lack of support for multiple tidal accounts.

Pieter van den Berg

+1 as when I leave home and my daughter wants to use room tidal looks me out of my music…

I really can’t explain my wife to have an endpoint in every single room, while neglecting her Tidal library.
She also wants to have multiroom to listen to her music.
Having single user libraries boils down to being ignorent to all others in the household.
Please improve in the near future!

1 Like

+1 for this feature request.

+1 for this, honestly this is breaking my desire to continue with Roon. My wife and i have very different playlists and do not want to try and manage a “home” vs “away” Tidal setup…

1 Like

+1 on the request (TIDAL family account). I just realized that this is not possible, but absolutely should be (no brainer - see all arguments above). Please make it happen!

We have now used a third Tidal account for roon an merge our tidal accounts via soundiiz manually every now and then. It works still it costs aditionally 36,- € every year and is labour intensive and not automated.

Would be great to see family integration of multiple accounts by roon!

I’d like to vote for this as well.

We have Tidal family and the kids need to add their own Tidal account to their Roon profiles.

I don’t want them polluting my Tidal profile with the trash they listen to.

Please and thanks.