MultiRoom setup with Tidal - different music sources using Tidal

Hi there community, have a 4 zone setup, composed of 1 Moon Ace and 3 Bluesound PowerNode2i that drive Paradigm in wall speakers in 3 different rooms.

Roon is connected to my house music library mostly in FLAC on a NAS, and also have a Hi Fi Familly plan with Tidal.

Recently, I have been contemplating the idea of playing something off Tidal in ROOM 1 and something different from Tidal in ROOM 2 , etc… You get the point.

This doesn’t seem to work, as music cuts and stops after a few minutes.

Do you know if this is possible ?? Should I create multiple profiles and link different familly Tidal accounts to those profiles, but don’t think it’s possible.

Did you use a simillar setup that worked. Any suggestions or idea ? Am all ears.

Thanks in advance

Hi Mathieu,

For clarity - multi room through Tidal app or Roon app?

If you mean playing tidal through roon then yes you can do this to multiple zones without any special set up.
The cut out might be network or the 2i which are prone to cut outs.

Im in IT and have robust networking equipment at home.

Multiroom via Roon app but using tidal in both zones without playing the same thing from tidal in each zones

That should work just fine.

Things to look out for.
Managed switches.
Wireless or MESH based networking.
Specification of core machine.

I too have such equipment. It does not stop my neighbors from stomping all over the Wifi channels from time to time and driving my network into the ground.

Would help to understand your set-up even it’s stable it may provide clues. I commonly have 2 or more endpoints streaming different things from Tidal or Qobuz without issue. Everything on my network is hardwired and I’m have very short RTT times from most data centers. However, even the shortest glitch somewhere in the chain can cause Roon to stop all streams.

In summary: Yes, possible, and works for a lot of people. Most of the time, the issue you describe, is network issue even if that network issue is because of poor implementation of wifi or other at endpoint (2i is a known problem in a lot of issues).

1 Like

Lots of us here work in IT. That’s why we point at the network, roon is very (too?) picky about the network.
Are you streaming cd or expanded mqa files from Tidal?

As others have mentioned this could be related to your network or if the same account for Tidal is being accessed by someone outside of Roon. You can stream as many different streams as you like via Roon to different endpoints the only limitation is your network can handle more than one stream.of uncompressed music via wireless plus all the other network activity going on. Wireless is not duplex so your bandwidth can be eaten away very quickly , it also suffers from latency which if too much can make audio cut out. Other environmental factors can also affect local WiFi performance. It’s all possible mines happy as larry with 4 wireless endpoints and two lan ones all running at same time but then I have multiple wireless endpoints to cover the house and the amount of wireless devices I have.

If your using wired then something is holding back bandwidth. Can you play two different flac streams to two different rooms. Is your core up to scratch , what are you using whats the processing speed when playing two tidal streams? Perhaps if mqa and they are both decoding it’s maxing out your machine.

Setup is this :
1Gbps ISP link
Ubiquiti next Gen Gateway, into a 10G UXG switch, which is connected to a 24 port Second Gen PRO POE switch. All ubiquiti. ALl running latest firmware/software.

From this, 1 port is connected to Roon Core which is an HP ProDesk 400 G4, I5 with 8gigs RAM, 256 SSD. The HP computer running Windows 10 with roon core latest version. That’s it that runs on this PC.

My music is stored in a Synology 12 disk RackStation, connected in 10G to the UXG switch. This library is for Roon as it is mostly FLAC. Have upwards of 5000 albums on this device.

Rest of music is in Tidal, settings to play in Master at all times.

As for WiFi, Have 3 AP’s in my house all on different channels. Also each AP has a unique SSID for each story, for IOT devices so they don’t connect to further antenna… And a common SSID for devices that roam, like ipads, laptop, iPhones etc.

Normally I use Roon app off an iPad Pro or off an iPhone 11 Pro Max. All running latest and greatest software.

Hope this is clear. Don’t hesitate if you have questions.

You didnt answer if the issue happens when playing local files. Is it just Tidal this occurs on? If so check your signal path and processing speed when playing two separate streams to two zones this will rule out if it’s your core running out of puff.

Hi all, thanks for the help. It got me thinkng that I gave an iPad mini to my parents, and on it was Tidal, with the same account Roon was connected on.

I guess you can only use 1 account at the same time, at least this is what I read on the Tidal site.

Disconnected the account on the iPad. Testing as we speak and nos all 4 zones are playing different tunes from Tidal in the Roon app, and everyhting works fine.

Thanks all !!

1 Like

I assume these are 4 SSIDs collapsed into the same VLAN or separate VLANs?

You didn’t specify which endpoints you were using (unless I missed it) and which network they were attached to. Please provide that detail.