Music Cutting Out on ROCK [Mesh Network - Satellite unsynced from the base station]

Hi all, a problem has developed with my Roon set up where the music cuts out intermittently, but for about 45 seconds to 2 minutes before picking up where it left off. Any suggestions on what may be happening would be gratefully received.

Through a process of elimination, I am coming to the conclusion that the problem is with either the ROCK, software or the intel NUC hardware. Reasons for this conclusion are as follows:

The delay is quite long and the music then continues from the place where it stopped, implying that the music has not been playing whilst the delay is happening.

The problem happens with playback through my Squeezebox (connected via ethernet) and Apple TV (Apple Play) in two separate zones. It is therefore not a playback related problem.

When the delay happens I lose connection to my Roon Remote on both my iPad and iPhone. I also lose connection to the ROCK web UI.

I have tried rebooting my intel NUC and restarting ROCK. I have NOT tried anything more drastic such as reinstalling ROCK or resetting the database.

Thank you all in anticipation of your suggestions.

That sounds like your NUC is busy, what spec is it?

Thanks, it’s a NUC 7i3BNH.

Not sure why it should suddenly get busy? Sounds plausible but I have not changed anointing my setup.

Is it very hot? Maybe it’s throttled down?

*anything in my set up.

Nope. Not hot at all. I picked it up to check the model after the question from the previous poster. Nothing special.

This is a new one on me. Best get @support involved.

Hi @Philip_Kent ----Thank you for the report and sharing your observations with us. Both are very appreciated!

Moving forward, to help aide in my understanding of what could be causing this behavior to occur, may I very kindly ask you to please provide me with the following:

• Please describe your network configuration/topology being sure to provide insight into any networking hardware you may be implementing. I want to have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating/being accessed across your network.

• Can you please provide an screenshot example of your signal path typically looks like leaving Roon, just before the music stops.

• You mentioned that you believe that this is related to either ROCK or the hardware hosting ROCK. Have you tried confirming any of these theories by letting another device host your Roon core temporarily?

Lastly, this feels network related to me. Not trying to “jump the gun” here by any means, but these observations specifically point to something occurring in regard to your environment:

(Network related endpoints):

“The problem happens with playback through my Squeezebox (connected via ethernet) and Apple TV (Apple Play) in two separate zones. It is therefore not a playback related problem.”

“When the delay happens I lose connection to my Roon Remote on both my iPad and iPhone. I also lose connection to the ROCK web UI.”

-Eric

Hello Eric,

After your assertion that it sounded like a network problem I did a deep
dive into this. It seems you are correct. I have a mesh wifi system (Netgear Orbi) and I discovered that the satellite had become unsynced from the base station. My iPad/iPhone were struggling to pull the wifi signal from the main base station two floors and quite a few feet of concrete away. I’m amazed anything was working to be honest.

So, having reconnected the satellite, all appears now to be well.

Thanks again for your responsiveness. The quality of the Roon support is a big plus point for anyone considering whether to invest in your product.

All the best,

Phil Kent

1 Like

Hi @Philip_Kent ---- Thank you for the update, very appreciated! Glad to hear things are now behaving as expected :sunglasses:

Happy listening!
-Eric

This topic was automatically closed after 30 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.