Roon Core Machine

Roon Nucleus

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Cox WiFi, ethernet, no VPN

Connected Audio Devices

USB to DAC

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

I followed the Nucleus setup but no music was migrated to the internal storage (2 Tbyte SSD) from the core backup from my Mac mini core. How do fix this, or how do I move music files from an external drive to the internal drive?

Roon backups are database only not the actual music files. To move the music files you will need to copy them from the Mac mini over the network to the Nucleus internal storage.

See:

1 Like

I have found that my Nucleus OS is Version 1.0 (build 254) production. I have done Reinstall twice and get the same version. My Roon Server is running Version 2.0 (build 1169) production. Should the Nucleus have the same version? If so, how do I get it?

Should it have the same version as what? I don’t understand the question. Build 254 is the latest version of the Roon Operating System, and Build 1169 is the latest version of version 2.0 of the Roon Server software.

I am just trying to figure out why I cannot get my Roon Database onto the internal storage on the Nucleus. I have made a backup onto an external SSD from my Mac mini core, attached the USB to the Nucleus and restored the backup onto the Nucleus, but none of my music files show up on the Nucleus. I just got it yesterday and I am already starting to regret it. I’m fairly computer literate, but the instructions haven’t worked for me. HELP!

Also,I have a warning sign that says my Metadata improver is paused. ???

I’m sorry, but when you say “Roon Database” - are you referring to the database that holds all the metadata and Roon’s settings - the database that you can use Roon to make a Backup of via the Backup funtion in Roon (Settings > Backup)?

Or do you mean your local music files?

the database from a Roon backup.

OK, so if that Backup was made when you were running the Roon Core on your Mac mini, where were you holding your local music files?

My music files are on the Mac mini.

And you want to copy them to the additional 2.5" drive that you have added into your Nucleus (i.e. not the M.2 SSD that holds the Roon OS and the Roon software), right?

My Nucleus has a 2000GB, WDC WDS200T2B0A internal music storage installed by Roon. I don’t know if this is the 2 Tbyte SSD that I ordered or not, but that is what it has. I want to have my music files there.

OK, and if you go to the Web Administration page of the Nucleus, is the drive showing that it needs to be formatted (or has this already been done by Roon Labs)?

This what is says:
Internal Music Storage
Format
OK
2000GB, WDC WDS200T2B0A
100% of 1848 GB available.

OK - it’s been formatted and ready to receive a copy of the music files and folders that you currently hold on your Mac mini.

The copying is a manual process that you have to do using your Mac Finder to do the copy.

Follow the steps here:

So I will need to drag and drop all of the music files? And what about the Metadata improver issue? Says it is paused.

Well, you can drag and drop, but personally I use method #2 - use the Finder to create an exact copy of the files and folders structure of your Mac mini on your Nucleus.

Once the files are there, reboot the Nucleus, and the Metadata improver issue should also be resolved.

This is great! In five hours all should be there. The Nucleus reboot is simply logging out, quitting Roon, then starting up again. Does the Nucleus need to be shut down and re-started?

I think you mean quitting the Roon app on your Mac? To reboot your Nucleus, go to the Web Administration page, and the red power button top right gives you the options to reboot or shutdown your Nucleus.

Thank you Geoff. You were very helpful. I would still be banging my head against my desk without your help.