Music Drop Outs On MacBook Pro [Resolved - Patch for Sierra]

Hi @Donald_Glover ---- Thank you for the follow up and confirming that information for me. I appreciate you giving the proposed test a shot.

Moving forward, if you would like to test with some locally stored content on the MacBook Pro’s internal drive I would recommend using a fresh install (temporarily of course) solely for testing purposes. the procedure can be found below :sunglasses:

1. Very Important - Before anything, make a back up of your current database.

2. Once the back up has been made, close the application and copy the desired content from the external drive to internal storage into a new folder.

3. Moving aside your current install:

• Locate your Roon database according to these instructions
  • Rename the entire Roon folder to roon_old
  1. Relaunch Roon, sign in, and add the folder of media you created from the drive for testing.

-Eric

I moved a portion of my music to the internal hard drive of the MacBook Pro. Still getting the dropouts. This would seem to indicate that there is definitely a problem with the USB connection to the Ayre DAC or the DAC itself. Since the DAC worked fine on the PC, I have to believe it is a problem with the USB connection.

I am going to run ROON on my iMAC and see what happens.

Any thoughts on how to proceed?

I moved a portion of my music to the internal hard drive of the MacBook Pro. Still getting the dropouts. This would seem to indicate that there is definitely a problem with the USB connection to the Ayre DAC or the DAC itself. Since the DAC worked fine on the PC, I have to believe it is a problem with the USB connection.

I am going to run ROON on my iMAC and see what happens.

Any thoughts on how to proceed?

Ok, now I am really confused. Ran Roon on the iMac and it also has dropouts. So Roon works fine on my PC but not on the iMac or MacBook Pro.

If I convert a 44 kHz or higher rate file to DSD64 using your DSP engine, it plays perfectly without dropout.

Hi @Donald_Glover ----- Thank you for the feedback and sharing the observations you have made during your testing. I would like to grab some logs from you but first I would like to see if I can try to reproduce this on my end.

May I very kindly ask you to provide the following in a PM:

1. Screenshots of the “device settings” window so I can use the same exact settings you are using.

2. Screenshots of the “DSP engine” window.

3. A sample of media provided in a dropbox download link to test with.

-Eric

I will get this information to you tomorrow. The DSP engine was turned off in all cases except for the test where I converted the 44 kHz file to DSP64.

I will get this information to you tomorrow. The DSP engine was turned off in all cases except for the test where I converted the 44 kHz file to DSP64.

Do I send the email with the information to http://community.roonlabs.com/users/eric? Are you talking about a dropbox on the Roon Labs website or the dropbox on my computer?

Hi @Donald_Glover — If you could upload the media to your dropbox account and provide me with a download link to access the content in a PM that’d be very appreciated!

-Eric

I’m still not sure what you want here. It sounds like you want me to send you the screen shots in an email. What email address do I use? What drop box account are you talking about? Sorry I’m being so dense here.

I’m still not sure what you want here. It sounds like you want me to send you the screen shots in an email. What email address do I use? What drop box account are you talking about? Sorry I’m being so dense here.

Hi @Donald_Glover ---- Apologies for the wait. I have just sent you a PM with instructions on how to get me the requested test materials.

Thanks!
-Eric

Did you get everything you needed? Any further thoughts?

Hi @Donald_Glover ---- Thank you for touching base with me. I’ve been waiting on a reply to the PM I had sent you, as we are not automatically notified when an upload takes place.

I checked our file uploader and was able to download the content successfully (thank you again), but I am still missing the screenshots. May I kindly ask you to please review my PM once more and send over the requested materials. As soon as I have an idea of what settings you are using, testing this media should be fairly quick.

-Eric

I sent you the screen shots in response to your May 9 email. I have resent them to you. Let me know if there is any problem

I sent you the screen shots in response to your May 9 email on May 12. I will resend them to you. Let me know if there is any problem

Hi @Donald_Glover — Can you verify for me where you’re sending the screenshots? You should have to only respond to this PM.

-Eric

I sent them twice as attachments to community@roonlabs.com. Both emails show up in my sent mailbox. I just responded to your email. Should I be doing something different?

I sent them twice as attachments to community@roonlabs.com. Both emails show up in my sent mailbox. I just responded to your email. Should I be doing something different?

On a separate note. For some reason when I reply to your message on the support page, they don’t always say that it is in response to Eric when they post. Do you have any idea what the problem is?