Music dropping out or stopping

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Sonic Transport (Sonic Orbiter latest version)/Roon 1.7 build 505

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Zone 1 Setup: Mac (OS 10.13.6; 1.7 GHz, Core I5, 4 GB Memory), running Roon app (managing Tidal and Qobuz) over WIFI, sends data to ATT modem (BGW-210 Arris), data sent from ATT modem by ethernet metal cable to Cisco switch (2960 8TC) to Small Green Computer Sonic Transport by metal cable ethernet back to Cisco, from Cisco metal ethernet to UpTone Audio Ether Rendu A side in and B side optical cable out( multimode OM1 with LC connectors) to Sonore Optical Rendu USB out to USB DAC.

Zone 2 Setup: Mac (oS 10.13.6, 2.3 GHz Core I7, 8-GB) WIFI to Apple TV to Surround sound pre to amp.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Zone 1 Setup: Mac running Roon app (managing Tidal and Qobuz) over WIFI, sends data to ATT modem, data sent from ATT modem by ethernet metal cable to Cisco switch (2960 8TC) to Small Green Computer Sonic Transport by metal ethernet back to Cisco, from Cisco metal ethernet to UpTone Audio Ether Rendu A side in and B side optical cable out( multimode OM1 with LC connectors to Sonore Optical Rendu USB out to USB DAC.

Description Of Issue

Music from Zone 1 (described above) drops out and then stops, or will not start intermittently on a different day. Sometimes when the dropout completely stops the music I will hear a very scratchy sound then the music stops.

Zone 2 drops out when using iTunes relatively low bandwidth. This is confirmatory that the issue is Roon or Roon HDW related and not something specific in Zone 1, Sonore or UpTone Audio product, I think.

I appreciate any help…I’m pretty addicted to music in System 1.

Hello @thotdoc,

Could you try using the Mac as your Roon Core instead of the Sonic Transporter to help us localize this issue?

To do this:
A) Start the Roon app on your Mac.
B) Go to Menu > Settings > General > Disconnect from SonicTransporter Core.
C) On the “Choose Your Core” menu, select “Use this Mac”.
D) Log into your Roon Account.
E) When it asks you to de-authorize the SonicTransporter, go ahead and do so. Your database and music on the SonicTransporter will not be affected.
F) Log into Tidal and or Qobuz, and set up your playback zones.

Once you’re up and running, try playback from the Mac core to the opticalRendu zone. If playback is stable with this setup, we can focus our attention on the SonicTransporter.

-John

Thank you. I will try this tomorrow as TDay is about to start here.

Have a wonderful holiday.

Gordon

@thotdoc do you mean EtherREGEN? And if so the optical (SFP) is on the A side still, not the B side.

I think the problem was a Cisco switch I have now taken out of the chain. If this doesn’t work, I will get back to you.

Again, thank you.

Gordon

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.