Music folder on iPad not wanted

Roon Core Machine

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

How can I get rid of the 3.5GB Music Folder within the Roon App on my iPad. It seems to have copied the contents of the Apple music app stored on the iPad. And it needs not to copy it again later nor copy contents on my Mac computer where the Core is. I only use Roon for streaming Qobuz.

I doubt it’s music, more likely it’s the roon app and it’s database with graphics etc

For example

1 Like

Thanks, but the folder is called Music not Data. Also the folder size is the same size as the Apple music folder which is music and this seems too much of a coincidence.

Anybody else got a view?

Surely all the Roon info about music tracks is on a server somewhere not on every individual person’s multiple devices. And if it is the associated data the problem is there is a plethora of images as Roon references everybody that ever spoke to somebody who knew the artist in an effort to maximise the number of links.

Nothing to do with Roon then. It doesn’t move music about.
There’s a local cache on each device so the display refreshes quickly.

Roon Core Machine

Mac Big Sur i5 8gb ram
iPad running IOS 12.5.5. 32Gb

Networking Gear & Setup Details

streamed wired to router; mac 5g wifi

Connected Audio Devices

Naim

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

I am trying to remove unwonted data from my iPad to free up space.
How can I get rid of the 3.5GB Music Folder within the Roon App on my iPad. It seems to have copied the contents of the Apple music app stored on the iPad. I only use Roon for streaming Qobuz. I do not want to access stored files.
I have found that in Roon Settings on the iPad the Music Folder is watching for new files in real time and has imported 1949 tracks. See screenshot. Does it import everything I stream? Or just things in the Apple Music Folder.
What is this folder for. I see I can edit or disable it, and I probably need to select edit and remove everything, and disable it, but should I do those in a particular order. But I would really like to understand the purpose of it before I get rid of it. It would be so helpful if there was some sort of comprehensive instruction booklet about what room does.

As I understand it, the ‘Music Folder’ in your screenshot is the default music folder for the os on your core computer. It does not reside on your iPad.

If you don’t want Roon to watch it, select ‘disable’.

You might need to clean up the library database afterwards - not sure.

Edit - this isn’t going to reduce the space taken by the app on your iPad, per the link posted by @ged_hickman1 in your other post. I don’t think there’s a workaround for that issue. I suspect you’re going to have to find something else to delete if it’s causing problems and you want to keep the Roon app on your iPad.

Delete the iPad app, + re-download from the AppStore. On first run, reconnect to your core. This is the only way I know to remove bloat on an iPad.

Do you know about Roon’s knowledge base and help center?
Here’s a link for you to read up on all things Roon, and likely your questions find an answer there.

1 Like

I have merged these two threads together as posting multiple times about the same issue will only dilute the responses and confuse the issue.
Thank you

3 Likes

Hey @John_Carlyle,

Ben from the support team here, thanks for taking the time to write in!

If you’re only using Roon to stream content from Qobuz, feel free to remove any watched folders. Depending on your library size, @ged_hickman1 is correct in saying that the app and database could also play a role in the mix as well. Feel free to uninstall and reinstall in that case :+1:

Let me know if your issuer persists after the above.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.