Music keep adding to lib event no new file added, getting Rooncore run slow

I have problem since last 1 month after update to newest roonrock version.
Event all music has been added, and I don’t add any new music to my NAT but it keep adding musing to Lib as photo (with the spin running ) and that keep my Rooncore run supper slow. I don’t know why.

I try to restart my roonrock but can’t resolve. Each time restart it also starting adding library with non identify track.

Log: Dropbox - RoonServer_log.txt.zip - Simplify your life

My roon rock run on NUC8 Core i5 16Gb ram.

@Jacky_Le, to receive appropriate help, it would be really helpful if you could complete the template provided below. Please be sure to include details of your core, network, storage location of your media files, and any messages displayed by Roon. Thank you.

Roon Core Machine

<!‐-Include your operating system and machine info (Model, CPU, RAM)-‐>
<!‐-Write below this line-‐>

Networking Gear & Setup Details

<!‐-Your network gear (model of routers/switches) and if on WiFi/Ethernet, are you using VPN-‐>

Connected Audio Devices

<!‐-Specify what devices you’re using and their connection types, like USB/HDMI/Chromecast, etc.)-‐>

Number of Tracks in Library

<!‐-Tell us how large your music library is, eg. “30,000 tracks”-‐>

Description of Issue

<!-‐Tell us about the problem you’re having in as much detail as possible. Screenshots are always appreciated!-‐>

Including these details in your first post helps resolve your issues faster.

Hi Martin,

Roon Core Machine

Model: NUC8i5BEH
CPU: Core i5 3.8Ghz
RAM: 16GB

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Router Model: Asus RT-AC58U

Connected Audio Devices

Use for Roon Core Only, End Point using Pi4 RoPieeeXL USB connect to DAC

Number of Tracks in Library

116920 tracks

Description of Issue

I have problem since last 1 month after update to newest ROCK / Roon Server version.

Event all music has been added, and I don’t add any new music to my NAT but it keep trying to add music to the Lib as photo (with the spin running ) and that keep my Rooncore run super slow. I don’t know why.

I try to restart my ROCK but is does not resolve, each time after restart it also starting adding library with non identify track.

Log: Dropbox - RoonServer_log.txt.zip - Simplify your life

Hey @Jacky_Le,

Ben here with the support team, I wanted to check in on the status of your issue. Are you still having trouble with getting your core to recognize it’s already imported your music?

If so, could you please take a screenshot of your Roon Settings>Storage, and share that here?

I’ll be on standby for your reply. :+1:

HI Benjamin,

Still having problem.
Some of album keep trying indentifing. Which causing my Roon run supper slow.
I have about 8K of Album without tag (and I believe it’s not available in Roon database since it’s very old album and it’s local music)

Content you’re reporting an issue with

• I have about ~8000 album which is local music, and old music don’t have digital version on internet, I also believe it will never come to ROON meta Database.
  • I Also tried to change setting of those album to alway read data from file data (not prefer to Roon db)
  • However my Roon rock keep auto run in background try to search and identify those album which causing my Roon rock running supper slow impact to my experience to browse music to play (when identify action running each album take about 20~30 sec to load)

Have you made any edits to this content in Roon?

No

Is the album identified in Roon?

No

Is this content from local files, TIDAL, or Qobuz?

Local file

Screenshot of import settings

Description of the issue

• I have about ~8000 album which is local music, and old music don’t have digital version on internet, I also believe it will never come to ROON meta Database.
  • I Also tried to change setting of those album to alway read data from file data (not prefer to Roon db)
  • However my Roon rock keep auto run in background try to search and identify those album which causing my Roon rock running supper slow impact to my experience to browse music to play (when identify action running each album take about 20~30 sec to load)

@Jacky_Le, I have merged your most recent support thread with this since they are interrelated, and resolving one will resolve the other.

Hey @Jacky_Le,

Thanks for the update. To confirm, out of the 8k local tracks you’ve imported, there are about ~600 of those tracks that are getting stuck during import?

I’d be curious to see if you could take these remaining tracks, and move them to their own separate subdirectory, and then add them as their own watched folder.

When reviewing your core diagnostics, I’m seeing large amounts of network errors. How is your core connected to your router? If you could provide further information on your full network system, that would be helpful!

HI Benjamin,

• So far import is not stuck, importing is successfully. However currently problem is, seem the ROON keep trying identify in background for some my local music which not available meta data on internet. Which causing May ROON run super slow. and impact to my experience when load album to play music.
  • Im not sure what’s Rootcause why identifying take too much resource from ROON NUC HW. Can Roon improve it ?
  • My network Connection

[Example image of Album not identify, and Roon keep identify in background - I have about 8K album like this]

Try turning Settings/Library Background Analysis Speed to OFF and see if that helps the Core speed.

HI Rugby,

I already turn-off both but still having same issue . Event I also change my NUC from corei3 to new by corei5 NUC with 16Gb ram.

Hey @Jacky_Le,

If this is the case, have you made edits to your import settings to prefer the file metadata instead of Roon? From your screenshots it looks like a handful of settings are still set to ‘Prefer Roon’ - if you’d rather have the file information, I’d select this option for every metadata option and see if your issue persists.

This is likely more due to the nature of your library, what third-party app do you use to edit your metadata?

If you temporarily disable the troublesome watched folder, does the performance of your Nuc increase and become smoother?

Hi Benjamin, actually I still want metadata for about 50% of my albums which is expected metadata available online.

Only 50% of the albums don’t have, so is there any option to specific disable metadata for custom album. I tried editing manually with Roon and select prefer file but ROCK is still slow.

Hey @Jacky_Le,

Understood!

There is! I’ll list out the steps below.

1. You will want to separate your subdirectories/watched folders into two folders. One with the albums you want Roon to identify and the second with the 8k albums you wish to prefer the file metadata on.

2. Import the two folders with your import settings preferring Roon

3. After importing, head to your albums and focus by storage location:

1. From there, select the folder that has the 8k tracks you wish to prefer file data on.

2. Select all the albums (Cmd+A on apple devices)

3. Click the three dots right of the ‘Play Now’ purple button

4. Click ‘Metadata Preference’

5. Select ‘Prefer File’ for the options you’d like

6. Click save

Let me know how this goes!

Hi Bẹnamin

Ah for this one I already tried long time ago. But issue still there roon keep run slow when identifying action running. Checked the log album I already modified to prefer file still keep trying for indentify in background.

Hey @Jacky_Le,

To confirm, do you have the above as the current setting for the tracks in question, as well as both analysis speed settings set to ‘Off’?

And to bring up previous questions I’d like to learn more about:

HI Benjamin,

1. I already set Background analysis and analysis on demand to OFF. But ROON Run slow and keep trying to identify meta data still run and ROON keep supper slow.
  2. I don’t use any third party app to edit meta data. Since my old album which I collect long time ago and I just keep as it. No time to edit one by one since I have big album list ~ 8K album.
  3. Once thing I want to share is with same album I have, last year when run with version 1.8 I don’t have any issue, Issue only occur when run from version 2.xxx.

Hey @Jacky_Le,

A few follow up questions for you:

1. Are any of the troublesome tracks added to an imported playlist, or iTunes XML playlist?

2. Coul you please share a screenshot of roon settings> storage and your watched folders?

3. Are you able to play some of the problem tracks to confirm they’ve been fully imported?

4. How many watched folders do you have? Please try to disable each folder one by one, until the problem spinner goes away. Essentially, we’re needing to track down which watched folder specifically may be holding the tracks that are causing you issues, it doesn’t seem likely that it’s all 8K, but rather a single track or a corrupted subdirectory.

Thanks!

Hi benjamin

Answer 1: No
Answer 2:

Answer3: Yes can, I can play those track without any issue.
Answer4: No spin is not the problem. I turn-off all auto scann folder. Only keep it scan when Roon re-start. My problem now is everthing keep run normal, then some time (very frequency) Roon keep trying identify in background. Which causing my Roon run super slow.

+I have many folder need import one by one, (about 40x I think) because I need to add this to arrange my tag and load music by folder easily . Thus as your question remove folder by folder to check is pain-ful workout and IM not sure can find the wrong folder. It might combination from many folder.

As you can see bellow image, it keep identify many album, event I disable background analysis already.

Hey @Jacky_Le,

Thanks for the update. As a next step, lets refresh your database and see how things perform. Steps to follow below:

• Create a Backup of your current Roon Database
  • Stop RoonServer from running in Nucleus’s WebUI
  • Navigate to your Nucleus’ Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RoonServer”
  • Rename the “RoonServer” folder to “RoonServer_old”
  • Restart the RoonServer in the WebUI to generate a new Database
  • On the Roon Remotes, press “Use another Core” and connect to the new database

Before restoring from a backup, test out adding just a small portion of your watched folders back into your library and see how things run. Thanks!