Music keep stopping and then volume rises to maximum ON ITS OWNn its own to dangerous levels

Roon Core Machine

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Qobuz or local files

Number of Tracks in Library

14,000 tracks

Description of Issue

i have had an issues a few times where the volume just accelerates to 100% in a matter of seconds, if i try to turn the volume down it does go down but as soon as i stop turning it down it goes back up again - this is dangerous and i am really concerned it could damage my speakers - this happened a few times a month ago so i stopped using roon, i have been roon using it again and its just done it again.
Also, and i wouldn’t normally bother reporting this but the stream had stopped multiple times today for no reason, i start it again and its fine, until it stops, is this really acceptable??, i have had a pretty shaky experience with roon from the off really, i thought the flakiness of the service was due to my running it previously on a shared desktop but i took the plunge and bought a dedicated NUC for it and its still flaky.

it seems the notes i made about network etc got lost -
network is a linkys velop 4 node mesh with each node connected via ethernet, client endpoints are mostly wireless. (android phone, windows surface tablet both wirless, windows desktop is wired)
Intel NUC 8 i5 32 ram running ROCK - machine hardwired to router with Cat 6 ethernet

i dont know if this is relevant to the issue or just the fact that the volume only goes crazy on my Naim Uniti Atom, its my primary listening device so it may just be a coincidence - the only way i can stop the volume going mental is to unplug the machine before it blows the speakers.

Can you use Volume Limiting to keep it under control until a proper fix is found?

Speaker Icon>Gear Icon> [bottom of window]

1 Like

Have someone by any chance been playing through Spotify Connect? Spotify connect works over the internet, so if someone has used it on a phone in your house then say goes home and wants to play Spotify on their phone, it will still be connected to your amp. They won’t hear anything of course, so will naturally put the volume all the way up. Happened to us with the people who had been housesitting for us a couple of years ago. Scared the living sh!t out of me, and very lucky not to blow the speakers. I now have limited the volume on my amp to about 70%.

The solution is to get them to open their Spotify account and “sign out from all devices”.

3 Likes

On the Naim forum there were a few reports about Atoms increasing the volume inadvertently, e.g.

Doesn’t necessarily have to be a Roon issue.
As @Rockhound wrote, Spotify is also a frequent culprit.

As for the general flakiness, this sounds like a network issue most likely. Open a #support thread and post your network details

2 Likes

Please clarify which is the device you are using to run Roon Remote precisely at the moment this problem occurred.

To isolate whether this is caused by one of the remotes, power down the other remotes if possible.

1 Like

thats a good point, thank you

Thats an interesting point but i live on my own, i have a spotify account but tend to only use that on my desktop when qobuz cant find certain tracks. Thank you for your suggestion though.

The problem with Spotify is that if someone ever connected the Spotify on their phone to your devices, they have access to it even if they are on the other side of the world. Spotify does this via the internet and does not need the local network

1 Like

I know for sure its occurred on my Sony Xperia phone a few times, i cant replicate it though, i think its also happened when using a windows surface tablet, the volume issue usually occurs when i turn the volume up in roon, usually when the Atom is part of a group of speakers, it has never happened while using the roodial volume control. What is odd is that sometimes i have jumped on the Atom and turened the volume wheel down and it still keeps racing away…it would appear Naim have seen this happen, i guess its not clear if this is a Naim issue or a Roon issue?

Thank you for this, i have read through the thread and it appears to be possibly linked to the use of hardware buttons on the phone that also dictate volume, and also when using the Naim app, this has only happened to me whilst using Roon but i am sure the software control mechansim is the same.

1 Like

I have been giving this a little more thought, its early and coffee hasnt quite kicked in yet but i think my ex still uses spotify, that said she has never played anything through my atom, following @Rockhound advice i have signed out of all of my spotify devices, would i need to get my ex to sign out of her devices? (my spotify is a family plan that my ex and daughter still use)

In order to try and find a resolution i think ill disable spotify input from the Atom for now, i assume this is a better option to having just me sign out of spotify on the Atom?

I think she could change the volume with her hardware buttons even if she is not playing anything. The stupid thing is that she has to sign out of your device, you can’t do anything about it except asking her

Trying to understand this a bit more … she is a named person on my family account but has never connected her account or devices to any of my hardware, i am struggling to understand how an action on her part could drive this.
I have disabled spotify as an input on the Atom (and signed out on spotify on Naim app) so surely that can rule out volume acceleration caused by a spotify user on my Atom?

Disabling the Spotify input on the Atom has no effect on this. Really.

However, the only possibility for this to happen would be if she ever connected her phone to your Atom for playing Spotify. She would have to be in your wifi network for this. But after she has done that, she can control your Atom from anywhere in the world.

If she never did that, it is not the cause. Rockhound and I just brought it up as a possibility.

However, some instances of magic volume changes that some users on the Naim forum described were never fully understood. I can’t rule out Roon but it seems unlikely. Some kind of bug in the Atom is a possibility but IIRC there never was any reproducible proof for this either

1 Like

The was another thread about Atom volume increase here:

And a new one about a Cambridge Audio:

Set volume safety limits:

Maybe your Atom allows to set somewhat similar limits too? Else, please help Roon Labs to find reproduction steps. Read more about it:

1 Like

This has happened to me on my Lumin T2. I can’t recall the exact circumstances, but broadly I think I opened the Android Roon app and was impatiently trying to increase the volume before the app was fully responsive. Then the volume started to rise on its own. Same behaviours: turning the volume down worked until releasing the button, then it would climb.

I can’t recall, but the fix was either to kill the Android app or switch off the Lumin. After turning the Lumin back on, the problem stopped and I learned to be more patient.

There was indeed a thread discussing this issue for Roon Android app. I don’t recall seeing discussion of the same issue on iOS app though.

Do you recall whether you were tapping the on-screen “+”, dragging the volume slider, or using the phone volume physical buttons?