Music of Spanish origin (special characters)

@support

The aversion to 'special characters) is quite an issue. Music of a Spanish origin for example (think Albeniz, Granados) is very likely to contain them. Roon copied the CD successfully but they do not appear in the library.
Deleting the special characters from the filenames allows the library to detect them but I’ve now imported over 1000 albums - Is there any way of determining which albums are on the drive but not showing in the library? ([Skipped Files] lists .jps but not sound files.)

Roon version 1.5 (build 354) stable (64bit)
Windows 7
Lan > Custom desktop PC
Melco > usb3 > nucleus
1055 albums (~4000 to go)

My information is a year old, but the answer to my similar question was “no”: since the files you are curious about failed to read, Roon has no record of them. The read failure occurs at the system level.

Hi @John_Adam ---- Thank you for the feedback and the question! Both are very appreciated! A few things moving forward…

“Is there any way of determining which albums are on the drive but not showing in the library?”

• As JohnV pointed out in his post, being as the files have not actually made it into the application Roon indeed has no record of the media and thus the files are not being tracked by the software. So unfortunately there is no way to determine from Roon which albums are on the drive but not in the library. This would have to be determined via the OS.

“The aversion to 'special characters) is quite an issue. Music of a Spanish origin for example (think Albeniz, Granados) is very likely to contain them. Roon copied the CD successfully but they do not appear in the library.
Deleting the special characters from the filenames allows the library to detect them…”

• Roon is designed for cross-platform compatibility meaning that a Roon library can be moved to, and worked with, on different operating systems (i.e OSX, Windows, and Linux). Because of this some special characters can cause issue with the import process due to the allowances of whichever OS Roon is installed under.

-Eric

Thanks for response Eric. Knowing ‘why’ somehow makes it more bearable.

Somewhere in the KB is a list of offending characters. My Mac OS will allow me to find and replace those in bulk. Should not have to curate one by one. Good luck.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.