Music on NAS Intermittently Disappearing and Getting Rescanned

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Core running on Mac OS 10.15.3, MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012) connected to Synology DS1019+

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Ubiquiti Unifi USG and Switches

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Allo USBridge Sig Running RopieeeXL connected to Schiit Yggdrasil

Description Of Issue

Several times a day, we’ll try to play an album or a track and Roon will pause and all albums stored on our Synology NAS will disappear from Roon. Qobuz albums remain. Roon will then automatically rescan our NAS and the albums and tracks will reappear. This happens only after we have not used Roon for a period of time during the day. Once connected and playing, all albums remain available. Any help to fix this frequent issue would be appreciated.

Sounds like a power save issue. Either your core or NAS seem to interrupt service for power saving so after the connection is restored, Roon will have to scan the library for changes that might have occurred while the connection was lost. You might want to check the power saving settings on your Roon Core and your NAS.

One solution would be to move your music local to the RoonServer and then just use the NAS for holding a backup copy.

This is a new issue with Roon, we’ve had our music on our NAS for several years now. But maybe there is a power save issue. I’d like to resolve it, as it’s frequent and the first track of albums are getting flagged as corrupt when this happens (I Re-Annalyze Track to resolve the misflagged corruption.)

1. Is anyone successfully using Roon Server on a Mac and their music on a Synology NAS who can share their Synology settings for “Hardware & Power”?

2. Sleep settings on the NAS aside (the Mac is set to never sleep), shouldn’t Roon wait a few seconds, like other apps on our Mac do, for the NAS to spin up before flagging tracks as corrupt and dropping the files?

Thanks

Hi @RoonCoCO,

Can you share a screenshot of your current power settings from the Synology? Perhaps there will be some more clues there.

Hi @noris,
Here’s a screenshot of our current settings. They’ve been the same for a few years now with two different Synology NAS.

I’m also wondering if this may be a symptom of MacOS Catalina. I’m trying an app called AutoMounter at the moment to see if it improves the issue.

1 Like

Hi @RoonCoCO,

Thanks for the screenshot. A test you could try performing here would be to temporarily disable HDD inactive sleep for a few days. If you give that a try, do you see the same behavior occurring?

@noris,
This issue was resolved by changing the hostname to the hostname assigned by our Mac within keychain. The previous hostname worked well for years. I’m guessing the issue was caused by a bug or change in Mac OS Catalina. With the change, all things are working great again.

Thanks

1 Like

Thanks for the update here @RoonCoCO, glad to hear the issue is resolved!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.