Music slow to start any source since build 923 [Fixed in B931]

That is an interesting observation. My initial feeling was that there is some buffering happening.
I just selected a song in Qobuz and playback started immediately, I then dragged the progress slider all the way to almost the end of the song and there was a noticeable delay in resuming play. After that I could move the progress slider back and forth with out any delays. However, once I press pause and the signal path indicator goes blank, the delays start again. It almost feels that once the signal path indicator goes blank, the buffer clears and Roon needs to fill the buffer again.
No idea, it that is actually happening but this behaviour is really annoying.

1 Like

I’ve noticed the same point about the signal path indicator.

1 Like

This is really becoming annoying now.

1 Like

Hey @CrystalGipsy & all :wave:t2:

We’ve been closely monitoring this issue, so, please know that even if you haven’t heard back from our team in the past two days, this has been on our mind. We are so sorry for the slowness in listening to tracks. I bet annoying barely begins to describe it.

We’re kindly asking for your help in figuring things out.

Could you please let us know if this behavior (the delay to start) happens with TIDAL, Qobuz, local library or any combination of the three?

If you are affected by this issue and want to get involved, could you please:

• restart your Roon Core
  • take the steps to reproduce the behavior
  • note the timestamp (local date and time)
  • share the timestamp and a set of logs by uploading the zipped up Logs folder here

Since we’re not notified of uploads, could you please let us know once you had a chance to do so, along with the timestamps.

Thanks very very much :pray:t2:

2 Likes

Likewise I’m having playback issues, both Tidal and Qobuz. Length of time is starting is random, but usually 30 seconds plus. Sometimes playback , a pop up tab announces the track isn’t available in Tidal, Qobuz, then begins playing in whichever service “not available”
Frustrating , as it seems every update I am having to fidget with controls, playback delays more than kicking back and enjoying the music.

1 Like

I experienced the track resume from pause delay last night streaming Qobuz.

But it was only after changing a DSP setting.

Music paused, made a small change to DSP hit play and waited 15-20 secs for music to return. This is not normal behaviour for my system. Playback is usually immediate.

I had plenty of processing power left.

2 Likes

Now that is interesting indeed.

In many prior builds the only time I ever encountered a delay in starting was as you described… usually switching to DSD 512 Upsampling via Roon.

However with DSP off it was always instant and still is now.

1 Like

I already had significant DSP engaged.

I simply inverted phase on my compression HF channels.

Playback took 15-20 secs to resume.

Usually it’s instant.

But no other issues with pause/start atm.

2 Likes

Yes, same usually DSD 256 and sometimes change it to DSD 512…just to see if could truly hear any difference. ( Not really is my conclusion…lol)

2 Likes

Hi @beka,

I have just reproduced the issue with two songs and uploaded the log files. Time stamp is today (2 April 2022) between 10:52 and 10:57am CET (that is between 8:52 and 8:57 in the log files). The end point is called “Allo”.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Interesting idea that it’s related to DSP. I will experiment as I do use DSP in some of the zones I am mostly using. It did exhibit itself first in my bedroom headphone setup at night when i was playing with DSP and it had very long pauses. However I also didn’t have any active in my office and noticed it there. I now have DSP active in there and it does.

But what is more noticeable is it doesn’t do it all if the signal indicator doesn’t switch off. Also the longer you leave it seems to affect it. Now this to me feels like it’s clearing the Roon streaming cache when it’s paused. So pause leave it for over 30 secs you get a long pause when resuming. The further you into that song and album the longer the pause. But then again it doesn’t do this all the time either. And it will do it with DSP on or off. One consistent factor is its with streaming services only I have both Tidal and Qobuz same with both

@beka @support

uploaded logs

reboot was at 10am GMT roughly,

Was using last album tracks played rom Rubberneckers by Christian Lee Hutson as examples. Was getting pauses of greater than 30secs.

Uploaded to Roons dropbox 10.25am GMT

Uploaded logs from after reebot showing behaviour as misread your instructions. This time Kelly Lee Owens was playing around 10.30am GMT. Uploaded loga around 10.33am GMT This batch less time pausing but still an issue.

Hope this is enough for you to get to the bottom here,

1 Like

Yeah I had more delays on play from a paused state again tonight.
maybe 8 or so seconds.

No other changes other than pressing play.
I do use DSP - wasn’t changing anything.

Definitely something going on.

1 Like

Agreed rebooting makes no difference, or they might want here as they perhaps enable more verbose loggigng that rebooting may envoke?

1 Like

I also have this problem and a core reboot as well as rebooting all other devices did not help. Sometimes it takes 5-10 seconds for music to play again after deactivating “pause”.

Can you follow the intsructions in bekas post above to provide logs, so they can get the info they need. I am sure this reproducible though.

1 Like

I had the problem again massively this morning, but am now on the road until tomorrow. When I get back tomorrow evening, I will provide logs according to the instructions.

1 Like

As far as I remember there are 2 log file folders (“RAATServer” and “RoonServer”). Which logs should I send?

I sent both to be on safe side

1 Like

Observation that I need to test more. For those having this issue are you using Roon Ready systems or Roon Bridge? I was using my main system last night which is Roon Ready and didn’t notice any discernable slowness. My other systems are Roon Bridges that I have noticed it on. Need to do more tests to verify this as it could have just been behaving or I didn’t leave it long enough.

1 Like

Scap that theory it does happen on my Roon Ready system to oh well!

1 Like