Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
MacBook Pro mid 2015 / Roon Server downloaded and installed approx a month ago
Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
- Wired ethernet network
- Roon Server - wire - switch A - wire - router Synology RT2600ac - Init up/down: glassfiber 1Gbps/0.1Gbps
- Control: Roon Remote running on Mac Book Pro 2019 (different one) - wired to the same switch A
- Renderer: Naim Uniti Atom - wired to the same switch A
- Switch A: TP-Link TL-SG105E; its a simple managed switch (5-port Gigabit Easy Smart Switch);
Config 2 - (with different renderer in different room)
- Renderer: Cambridge Audio CXN - wired - switch B - wired - router Synology RT2600ac
Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Description Of Issue
There are dropouts in transmission of the music. And then “No audio devices found”.
I noticed it at first in Configuration 2, but had not time to investigate it, but after couple of seconds this was self-remediating (?).
Just now I noticed it in Configuration 1 as well.
I was streaming a radio, then it suddenly broke off, and since then (now 5 mins at least) I see “No audio devices found”.
Simple network tests (port opens, pins etc.) show that all the devices are actually working and communicating, but the “Roon layer” is not.
I am not sure if that’s connected in anyway, I noticed there are sometimes longer periods to recognise Naim Atom as a player available to Roon.
I thought to use Roon in a party on Saturday, testing its radio capabilities on music I normally do not listen to, but with these dropouts it is actually useless for the purpose.
The first thing I notice here is that the Switch in use is a managed switch. As noted in our Networking Guide, managed switches often require some advanced configuration to properly work with Roon and this could be playing into things. As a test, it would be interesting to know if this same behavior occurs if you remove the managed switch from the equation as a test.
Can you confirm if the same dropouts occur if you play to System Output of the MacBook Pro?
I will try that.
In meantime I have checked the switch A and disabled IGMP scooping. Tests with the Configuration 2 seemed to be very positive.
But just a minute ago I got back to Configuration 1, tried the Radio - and again after couple of minutes - music stops and I see a message “No Audio Devices Found”.
I will redo this test using system output, BUT to remove switch from the equation is has to be the one running RoonServer actually
it runs for over 12 minutes now without a dropout experienced before.
Thanks for giving this test a go. It seems like things are working okay without the managed switch in place, so we know that this is where the issue is stemming from. Moving forward, there are a couple of options.
You can continue to use Roon without the managed switch in place, perhaps using an unmanaged switch instead. You can also try adjusting the settings on the managed switch so that it functions properly. As noted in our networking guide:
If your switch has a “flow control” setting, please make sure that it is enabled. Also, make sure that the switch is not performing any sort of throttling that might impact communication between cores, storage, remotes, and/or audio endpoints. Finally, ensure that the switch is configured to pass multicast and broadcast traffic.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.