Music stops playing

I have the same problem. Not as frequent. Mac mini Roon server, Mac mini bridge, iPad remote. No obvious resource issue. Hmmmm.

Hi @Ironman,

So we can better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

Does this occur for all zones?

Dylan,

Thanks for following up. I don’t think I’m ready to try to follow a guided troubleshoot from Roon yet. There are a lot of basic setup optimizations that I think can be done to the Mac Mini, and other MAC OSX system administration to be done first. I tried to find as much information as possible in the Roon knowledge base for prevention of dropouts and other setup related issues for Mac OS, but I could not find very much information. I might be looking in the wrong place.

But, there are some very good suggestions from other sources. Roon user Occamsrazor has suggested that the Mac Mini would benefit from an HDMI emulator dongle when running headless. I think this has a lot of potential and I am going to try it. Even if it just improves VNC, at least I’ll be able to see what’s going on better.

Mojo Audio offers a Mac OSX optimization guide and specifically addresses the Mac Mini here at this link. https://www.mojo-audio.com/blog/optimizing-os-x-for-audio-video/.

In any case, there are so many basic things that I can look at first. It would be nice to find more information that is Roon specific, but that’s not really necessary.

For example, I cannot find any technical description of the transfer of audio files from the Roon Server to the Roon Bridge or any settings to change buffering of these files on the Roon Bridge. I think most network issues are easily solved if audio files can be loaded to memory before playback begins, but this might not be possible with a streaming.

Or, maybe it looks like this question has been answered in this Forum thread. End Device and Buffering.

I appears RAAT likes to keep audio file transfer from the Server to the Bridge synchronous to playback and offers no user configuration settings for audio file buffering. This would suggest to me that network stability is very important to Roon. Personally, I like the idea of waiting a few seconds for a file to buffer, but I’m sure there are reasons why this is not optimal for Roon given the architecture for DSP, etc.

I hope to have some useful results to share with the Mac Mini configuration.

Cheers,

Jamie

@Ironman,

This is one symptom of what I will call ‘general RAAT stability issues’ which seem to have been introduced into ROON on or around the release of 1.6.

In reviewing these forums, most of these issues are taken on by Roon individually and broadly attributed to network connectivity issues. Users go down a path with Roon of trying to check for basic networking issues etc. It seems that most of these issues are not really getting resolved. The user either gives up or gets to some other configuration which doesn’t exhibit the problems.

In stepping back and looking at the whole, versus individual trouble reports, it seems there is a more systemic problem in Roon. By virtue of the increased frequency and commonality of symptoms across devices & configurations, I believe this will not be resolved until Roon addresses it in a more global fashion rather than handling it one support call at a time.

Related Issue

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.