Music storage and management / backup / Qobuz music downloads

Question:
What is “best” option(s) for music storage and backup with my setup?

I have a lifetime Roon subscription.
I am currently renting and most devices are on WiFi (eero network) including a few Sonos speakers. My desktop and laptops are on WiFi. I would be able to plug in a Roon Nucleus+ server into ethernet. Same with a NAS.

I am ready to purchase either a Roon Nucleus + or a SGC i9 server for a variety of reasons including stability as my other computers may be on or off. I’m okay with purchase prices.

If I have a NAS or SSD in server, will my backup program (iDrive) be able to “see” these on the network and make backups? Do you download (eg Qobuz) to computer and then copy to SSD? or better to store everything on a NAS. I realize I could buy a server and then play with these options, but thought I’d ask the community. Sorry if this is a redundant question. Some of the prior threads are older or don’t have all of my variables.

I would use Roon to play multiple zones in house including my office space(s) using existing computers.
I also have a (currently unused) Bluesound node 2i that I could use. I have a few USB HDD around, but not a NAS or extra SSDs.

What’s the point of the small green computer if you have a Nucleus? You can easily just get a Nucleus and an external USB hard drive to store you music and your Roon database backups.

BTW, you cannot download from Qobuz with Roon.

The Nucleus will expose any internal.or usb attached storage on the network and software run on your PCs should be able to map that share and backup from it.

I don’t have a Nucleus or SGC currently. Thinking about both.
I was more thinking about the old and new music management between options of:

• current desktop HDD
  • potential server SDD
  • potential NAS

Thanks.

Sorry, I had mistyped. There is no point for both, it is either one or the other. And, in that case I would say a Nucleus.

The music should local to the server, which is why I suggested an external USB drive. You can use an internal drive if you want, but, then you would still need an external drive or network location for database backups because they cannot go onto internal storage.

NAS should only be used as a backup of theusic that is local to the core.

2 Likes

Depending on your DIY level, you can do better trying a non-proprietary solution (custom build pc, NUC or whatever). Nucleus or SGC are just customized computers, which you can also have for a way much more value, as a NUC + ROCK for example.

1 Like

Thanks. I understand options. Over the course of my life I previously had higher levels of computer building knowledge. Now it is worth it for this to “just work”.

Ordered:
Roon Nucleus Plus
Samsung T7 2TB external USB drive

Will look forward to playing with that and hopefully Roon working across a patchworked network.

I put a Samsung SSD (8TB) drive in my Nuclues. Eliminates the external case/cable. My understanding is 2.5” HDDs won’t fit inside the Nuclues since the drive has to be no larger than 7mm.

I like the simplicity of an internal SSD, but a smaller external will be easier to change out as needs arise and costs go down. The server/SSD will be located out of eyesight, so not as important.

no larger than 9.5mm thick - 2.5" HDDs up to 2TB in capacity will fit.

The SSD in my Nucleus is 8TB.

I have Roon Nucleus+ hooked up.
Current: using Desktop 4TB HDD to use as music source. Working well.
Future: Samsung T7 2TB SDD external drive directly connected to Nucleus+

I realize I can copy HDD → SDD music files directly.
My network doesn’t “see” Roon or SDD from desktop.
Roon Nucleus+ does see T7 SDD, so that is all okay.

How do I:

• download Qobuz (Sublime) files to SDD (other than to computer and then manually copy over)?
  • backup my SDD if not “seen” on network?
  • any way to sync HDD and SDD for a local backup?

Thanks.

Is your desktop a Windows PC? If so, then first try typing \\Nucleusplus\Data into the address field of Windows File Explorer. That should reveal the data folders in the Nucleus+, and opening the Storage folder should show the external 2TB SDD attached to it…

If that doesn’t work, then see this article for additional help:

1 Like

Brilliant. That works. Thanks much!