Must Force Rescan On All New Rips on SonicTransporter [Solved - Use local Music folder instead of network share]

Roon Core Machine

SonicTransporter i5 Gen 3
With internal 2TB SSD and external Ripper
FW 2.0 (1311)

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Ethernet, no VPN

Connected Audio Devices

PSA DAC>PSA Pre>Power Amp
Roon Control iPad/FW 2.0 (1303)

Number of Tracks in Library

4020;tracks

Description of Issue

I can no longer rip CD’s to Roon unless I do a Force Rescan, this started around the time the current FW was installed but don’t recall exact dates to know it was after the update.The rips are stored in my SonicTransporter drive but don’t appear in Roon without the Force Rescans.

Real time watching is a feature of the underlying OS and not of Roon. The OS of your Roon Server device is provided by its manufacturer, try contacting their support to resolve your issue – or learn to live with the necessity to wait or manually initiate a force rescan after adding new tracks.

I already elaborated about the matter in:

I’ve already worked with them, they referred me to Roon feeling Roon was better informed. Why would it perform well for extended time period then suddenly stop. Their FW is unchanged but I have installed an Roon update.

If there is a systematic error in Roon Server, making the real time watching not work, why is just you and not everyone?
Did you try and power down your ST i5, remove the mains power, wait for 5 minutes before connecting it again and then power it up?

What troubleshooting steps have already been taken then?

Following the forum here, I “feel” that their support is degrading greatly and they now just try to pass on cases to someone else.
But hey, I’m just another Roon user reading along on this forum so, what do I possibly know?

No they actually worked on this with me over a period of several days and multiple conversations and there is nothing in their user forums.

I tried restarting as you suggested but I still had to do a Rescan, but I appreciate your suggestions.

Well from my experience ROCK has stopped adding new music to from time to time and this has happened after a new Roon update, and this has only shown for some users not all. So Roon is not immune from its own issues with scanning local disks. It might be some hardware or firmware issue but also just as likely to be Roon related.

And what have you done to fix it that not already has been done by the OP?

Rebooted the core, which fixes it. My point being Roon is susceptible to such things and it’s not just related to the hardware.

What is the difference between performing an update of Roon Server and rebooting the machine?

When updating Roon Sever, the Roon Server process has to be stopped and started again obviously for the new version of associated files (executables, libraries and so on) being used.
The difference is the reinitialisation of the hardware and OS (kernel, services and other [third-party] start-up software). Both of them have nothing to do with the Roon (Server) software and are, in the case discussed here, not provided by Roon Labs.

I, and I suspect many other users too, never had an issue related to real time watching when updating Roon. I my case even, never with Roon and Plex who’s running on the same machine (but for other purposes) and also makes use of the same OS feature for real time watching.
Looking into this forum, reports of symptoms of a failing OS/Roon db SSD Roon is suffering from, seem to occur even more often than reports of failing real time watching (for unknown reasons). These, as well as the cases for failing real time watching with known reasons I know of, aren’t Roon Server issues and can’t be fixed or caused by a Roon software update. Troubleshooting (and fixing) have to be done by affected users and/or their hard-/software device manufacturer support in the end. Only troubleshooting tips and hints can be provided here, sometimes evidence can be pointed out to help users to come to a conclusion/decision.

Just because users come across an issue using Roon, this isn’t necessarily Roon’s fault. Troubleshooting has to be done to find the root cause of the issue.

Sadly we still don’t know what troubleshooting has already be done, what potential root causes have already been tested for and excluded.
Even basic information that might be relevant is missing (free RAM / CPU load when the issue occurs, free disk space, related limits in place [max_user_watches, limits for open files], etc.). I also don’t know how a user of an appliance like device like an ST i5 that usually deny a user administrative access to the OS is supposed to come by with such information or should do (advanced) troubleshooting in general.
IMHO this has to be done by manufacturer support that has full access to such devices (if needed). Therefore, and for third-party software the manufacturer supplies with the device and even advertises as feature, support should also contact third-party support on behalf of the user in case this is needed and work with them to resolve the issue of their customer. Maybe I’m old fashioned or just plain wrong with this opinion though?

Hi @Rogerdn ,

Thanks for reaching out. I noticed that you have your Music folder disabled in the SonicTransporter settings and you have added the FLAC folder manually. Can you try to disable the FLAC folder and re-enable Music folder and see if that resolves the issue? You might be connecting to the SonicTransporter folder as a network share, instead of as a local drive.

Noris, thanks for the reply, that indeed fixed it, was becoming a chore as I’m ripping all my CD for second time, thanks again.

Roger

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.