My DAC clicks when the sample rate changes - How do I turn MQA off?

Or you could have a chat with Accuphase and hear what they intend to do about an unwanted behavior while changing sample rates on the USB interface? :slight_smile:

Or if they have suggestions that could remedy this, such as setting resync times or buffers?

1 Like

Reluctantly I think I’ll give that a go when playing Tidal playlists…

It’s not just the USB interface that does the relay clicking.
If I play a data disc with different resolutions I get the same clicking.
I’ve spoken to the Accuphase dealer about that and he has no idea what I’m talking about. Apparently he only plays vinyl, SACDs and CDs.

1 Like

If the click really comes from relay mechanically, then no firmware fix is possible. It is very common for DAC to use relay, and clicking is absolutely normal for DAC using relays.

1 Like

Thanks Peter.
That’s what I thought and the reason to hope Roon could help.

My DAC doesn’t click with changing sample rates and formats. It all just works seamlessly…

I probably need to buy a cheaper DAC.

1 Like

What drivers are you using? Try ASIO vs WASAPI or vice versa?

End point is sMS-200 Ultra. No Windows allowed in my system.

1 Like

I assumed that the clicks were bursts of noise in the speakers, not the mechanical sound of relays.

What kind of relays are utilized in Accuphase electronics? :smiley:

I have been sporting a Schiit Gungnir MB the last couple of weeks with a USB implementation with relays that click upon every sample rate change. I kind have been enjoying it :yum: Still, Roon needs to come to terms with being Tidal/Qobuz front ends and enable a way for us to turn off MQA, focus on particular tiers and sample rates, etc.

The relays will click on all inputs not just USB. FWIW I don’t mind them as they are mechanical and come from the DAC itself not through the speakers.

The DACs in my Lumin A1 ‘click’ when it swaps between PCM and DSD. It doesn’t bother me one bit, and is completely unobtrusive.

If your DAC behaves like that, I would blame the design of the DAC.

1 Like

Chris Chris Chris.
You have no knowledge of my DAC. Many high quality DACs have relays that click when changing resolutions or change from PCM to DSD.
I’m certainly not going to trade my $20k DAC because of this Roon/Tidal/MQA inadequacy. I’d prefer to go back to CDs or play full albums from Tidal/Roon.
This is all about choice. It’s not a judgement on MQA.

1 Like

Apologies if that came out wrong, I do not know your DAC. If that’s how it works, I’m not sure what can be done though.

No worries.
I do know what can be done though. Give us the choice of not listening to MQA when streaming Tidal through Roon.
And unfortunately i don’t have the choice to switch to Qobuz here.

1 Like

My $1200 Schiit Gungnir MB does the same thing.

This is not intended as a pro-MQA statement: with respect to that experience with your DAC, it seems then that MQA is really not your problem. If your DAC clicks with every resolution or format change, why is your annoyance limited to MQA? It doesn’t bother yoiu when it clicks on a resolution change?

Because resolution changes only happen when playlists have different resolutions.
I only play playlists from Tidal, where MQA tracks are mixed with 44.1 tracks.
If I play a full album (from my SSD or from Tidal) there are no resolution changes hence no clicking.