My first Apple Computer

Agreed! I’ve never been Jobsian disciple but since he died they have steadily declined in terms of innovation. I’m mean I can’t see Jobs being bothered about developing a credit card for instance :joy:

1 Like

Well, unless it was a credit card that also played music… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Back in 1977 I enrolled for computing when selecting my O Levels. I was denied the course because I wasn’t in the top stream in Mathematics. I then opted for typing. That was denied because they couldn’t get enough students to justify a class. I went into electronics on leaving school and finally used a PC as we know them now in 1994! I do sometimes wonder what direction my life would have gone in if I’d been allowed to do computing.

Funny thing, so did I after my careers advisor said I couldn’t do my first choice because “I wasn’t in the top stream in Mathematics.” What did they know? Calculus, differential equations, probability, complex analysis … I wanted to be an architect.

I built my first computer: an Acorn Atom. Later, I replaced this with a BBC Micro Model A and upgraded it to the B specification. I swapped this for an Apple IIe.

During the 1980s used the PDP 11/44 and HP 9800 series workstations with IEEE-488 bus to develop high-echelon test and measurement equipment. I remember the Lisa too.

I moved from engineering into Information Technology in '98.

Currently using a MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016) … it could be my last.

Oh, yeah! That instrument bus!

1 Like

I bought his and hers Apple ][+s after my wife and I opened our city’s first video stores in 1980. When everybody else was using index cards to keep track of what movies were rented to which customer, we had a database program, written in Pascal, looking to multiple floppy drives and a memory card.

Eventually, of course, serious commercial software emerged in that business, but those beige pizza boxes with an amber or green monitor on top earned my loyalty as an Apple customer for many different subsequent models, over several decades, ever since. Now I still use a mid-2010 Mac Pro with upgraded processors, PCI solid state storage and a 4k video card. Still a fan.

1 Like

Very cool. My eye doctor was still using an apple ][+ for records and billing in his office until about 2005. I used to ask about it, and he said “it works, staff know how to use it, so why update.” I think he only updated when the thing finally broke down.

Seems extremely reasonable.

Did I mention the Apple Store in Green Bay, WI only sells actual apples?

What model(s)? Fiji, Gala, McIntosh?..

Green Bay’s not far from where my niece went to college in Appleton

Awesome…

4 Likes

Three days ago–a Macbook Pro. I got sick of Windows 10 driver issues. So far, it’s great, and I’m most likely going to switch from JRiver to Roon when my trial period is over,

2 Likes

Don’t upgrade to Catalina or Roon won’t work. Or so I’ve heard.

1 Like

I’ve never owned an apple with a keyboard but used apple 2s at work in 1982. We moved to PCs as we needed more rows in a spreadsheet than the 2 could give us.
Remember going to the UK launch of the Lisa. This mouse thing will never catch on.

4 Likes

Having spent most of my time in academia, Macintosh used to be very strong in the educational sector. So I climbed the ladder up with almost every Mac that came out. That changed drastically in the mid 90s when Windows took over and basically wiped away Macs in industry and academia.
Nevertheless, at home, I stayed with Macs, from iMac to MacBook Pro to Mac Mini, with iPhones/iPads, etc. As many say: deep in Mac ecosystem.
The recent upheaval about Roon/Catalina is of no concern to me. I am gearing up for a Roon Rock installation to become independent of future upgrade incompatibilities with Roon. It‘s a fun project, I am learning a lot with the help of the Roon savvies!!!

2 Likes

I believe the fix is out now :+1:

I’m pretty sure that old Apple won’t run Catalina…

I know :joy:

Used ITT2020 I think it was as my school couldn’t afford a proper Apple so bought a clone. Later they got a Tandy TRS80 which was hidden away in a cupboard and we didn’t get much chance to use it.
A friend took me to his father’s work so we could have a play with a real Apple II :+1:

In the early 80’s nobody knew what a “video store” was supposed to be, so many people came in to ask about this new thing called a personal computer. We were using Apple ][s to keep track of our inventory, but couldn’t be an authorized dealer so we started selling a clone, the Franklin Ace https://lowendmac.com/2014/apples-from-other-orchards-apple-ii-clones/. That ended when Apple won their copyright lawsuit.