My least liked feature in Roon

Before getting to listen to Music, Roon all too often blocks the experience with the annoying problem that the core does not connect. Definitely a killjoy! For me, it means that I have to work down my routine list of steps- restarting the core, rebooting the Mac, rebooting it again if that has failed and finally delete and re-install the remote. A nuisance and probably one of the most frequently reported problem in the forum- a problem yet, that has not received attention for any of the frequent updates and upgrades. So a feature of Roon that is there to stay?

That is not a feature, it’s a problem with your system.

2 Likes

I agree. @Butz, I suggest you open a thread in the #support category.

I’m going to become a Linux evangelist. I had some similar or related issues and a Roon core on Linux solved many of them. Still having some issues related to artist image display but I think that is a true bug. All of the reliability, reboot, reinstall stuff went away with Linux. Try it!

2 Likes

Why would it then work at some times and not at others?

Done that already, repeatedly. No help

Your most recent #support request was marked as solved (your post), which is why no further replies were posted. If this was done in error, please let me know, and I can open the thread. The next #support request was 18 months ago.

I use Roon in two countries in homes with totally different networks and have not once had this problem in six years. It’s your network.

1 Like

The issue is old and unsolved.

Either take Martin up on his suggestion regarding re-opening your previous support request, or post a new one. Either way, it would be worth adding the info requested when you first create a support topic, i.e.

Roon Core Machine

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

The problems you’ve described sound very much like a networking issue, but in the absence of specific details regarding your system it’s difficult to offer any advice.

I feel like its mostly your network. It’s hard to predict when these problems happen - they are very timing dependent. What does your network look like?

As a means of troubleshooting: Check your Mac’s power settings and be sure the Mac, the hard drives, and the display are not sleeping and see if this resolves the issue.

But I also suspect it’s a network problem.

Roon Core on Mac Mini 2018/ 8GB RAM, Lan to Fritz Cable Box as in screenshot.

Sorry, saw your post too late, after I have answered already, in part, to hacker 19.
Additional specifications: Audio Device is Matrix mini-3 pro, 2500 tracks in library.
Hope that helps

This might help:

It might also be worth searching the forum for any other relevant posts. To find the above I googled “Fritz Cable Box roon problems uh oh somethings not right”. There may well be other threads that could help.

1 Like

It’s actually mentioned in the Networking Best Practices article as well:

FRITZ OS 7

The FRITZ OS 7 update includes a feature called “Software Packet Acceleration” that can cause issues with remote connectivity. We recommend disabling this setting from the FRITZ GUI.

2 Likes

By the way, I’m assuming, when you say LAN, that you mean your core is wired to your network rather than connecting by wifi?

1 Like

Good point. Packet accelleration is activated by default, have just deactivated it and will observe. Thank you for the suggestion.

1 Like

Lan, not WIFI

1 Like

Fingers crossed.