My Nucleus keeps losing its connection [Resolved with Roon 1.8 (Build 806)]

Very interesting. Much of what you wrote is over my head but I think I have the gist of it. My router is in the same room as my Nucleus and there’s an ethernet cable connecting them.

If I have this problem again, I’ll be looking into how to improve my network’s capabilities.

1 Like

Steve when having issues like you had, a good start is to reboot the router and Roon core (server) as that is usually the first thing support will ask you to do.
Good to learn these things, and on the rare occasions I have issues, that’s my first port of call, most of the time that just fixes it within a few minutes, the rest is usually fixed by rebooting my phone or iPad
Let’s hope your problems are gone for now.
Have a great weekend

1 Like

Thanks for all your help Michael, and you have a great one as well!

1 Like

Thanks John, I am using a Nucleus and my other relevant gear is listed in the 1st post of this thread.

I’m not sure how a Nucleus works, can you use a browser to see a status page like that available when using ROCK on an NUC server (see screen)? I know in my case it’s the Roon ROCK Server going down as when I go look at the status page it shows how long it’s been up and running and straight after a ‘lost connection’ situation it reverts back to counting from 0.00 seconds again.

Before I had ROCK I would get this occasionally using a MacBook Air as control and server, I replaced all my Apple network, router and switch to no avail - I feel this is a Roon bug or bugs, probably a memory leak that combined with a certain situation resets the server - but hey, I don’t know what the code looks like so… :roll_eyes:

Tim, I went through my ‘Settings’ screens and I didn’t find one that resembles the example you posted, so I guess I don’t have access to that screen from my Nucleus.

I was wondering the same.

The ROCK/Nucleus status page is at the IP address of your Core:

1 Like

That’s the one! :blush: So, next time you get the ‘lost connection’ message as soon as you possibly can go to that URL again and note how long the Roon Server Software has been running - if it’s the resetting issue then it will have only restarted a few seconds or a minute before. That will at least rule out network issues and centre the problem with the software or the Nucleus.

PS. Someone did manage to help in a similar situation by setting a Static IP address for the server, you can see the button to do that directly below the Networking tab. Just make a note of the present IP address (in the Roon software go to Settings and then About and you should see the current IP address there). If you go back to the Nucleus web page and click that ‘Static IP’ button and type in that address the server will then always be at that address (rather than getting a possible different address each time it is switched off from the router)… didn’t help me but it might help in your situation?

1 Like

Setting a static IP address within the server isn’t optimal. It’s best to keep your IP address via DHCP and set an IP reservation for your Nuc in your router/DHCP server.

3 Likes

Sorry guys, I bought a Nucleus because I wanted to keep things as simple as possible and although I appreciate your responses, they’re over my head. :weary:

1 Like

Steve, the guys are trying to help you diagnose possible causes of the “losing connection” message here.

Ignore the suggestions to fiddle with network addresses, and concentrate on the main point: the Web Administration Interface page of the Nucleus gives you a handy way to check on the status of the Nucleus.

So, as @Tim_Woodward says, the next time you see the “Lost Connection” message, go to the Web Administration Interface using your web browser (refresh the page in your browser, if you already have the page open), and note how long the Roon Server Software has been running in comparison to how long the Nucleus’s Operating System has been running.

• if the running times are the same, then we’re dealing with a network issue.
  • if the Roon Server time shows that it has just restarted, then we’re dealing with a Nucleus issue.

That will give Support valuable information to suggest the next steps to crack the issue.

2 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Nucleus - drops in connection

7 posts were split to a new topic: Nucleus loses connection

Thanks Geoff, but I’m not able to access any screen while my connection is down. It just shows that I’ve lost the connection and that it is trying to reconnect as shown on my screenshot from the first post.

There’s likely to be a difference in connectivity between the two types of screens

• The connection to the Web Administration Interface is done using your web browser
  • Screens in the Roon interface are handled differently.

The first should still be available as long as the Nucleus operating system is running. The second will be lost if the Roon Server software on the Nucleus stops (or lost temporarily if it is reset).

Please, the next time you see the “lost connection” message, could you check to see if the Web Administration Interface is still available, and what it says. This will provide valuable data to help further with the diagnosis.

OK, I will absolutely make and effort to get to the Web Administration Interface in the event it goes down again. If this thread is still open, I’ll post a screen shot here, otherwise, I’ll contact Support. Thank You Geoff.

1 Like

There is a support allready asked for. Same issue. My crashes happends mainly with qobuz high res files…

1 Like

Yes, this Roon Server resetting issue has already been reported, but it also makes sense for Support to collect as much data as they can to help in diagnosis.

You will note that Steve described his issue as Roon “losing connection”. What we are trying to establish now is whether there are two separate issues at play here or just the one…

2 Likes

@NipperDog Steve I don’t think its likely for this or other threads on this very issue to close any time soon! Just keep an eye on that status screen and report back as several of us are following this post so it won’t get lost (I have that web page loaded in a web browser whenever I’m listening - and sods law has meant it hasn’t reset once since I did that!! :laughing:)

What would be brilliant is if @support (and I’m mentioning them again as seriously, they do need quite a rattle on their cage in a thread before any action seem to be forthcoming…) could get together with the mods to get these ‘resetting’ issues together in a single thread (providing they are related issues of course) so we can get some proper attention to a problem which seems has been going for many months.

PS. Not being mean to the guys at support here, but I’m getting the feeling some new users are getting a very poor idea of the Roon experience, especially those who have bought a Nucleus - which is a very expensive way to enjoy a dedicated Roon server and one which should undoubtedly be as painless an experience as possible for the uninitiated - who it is aimed at!

2 Likes