My Nucleus shuts off on it's own

“Unexpected error” usually means that there is an error in the network share location path.

The first screenshot seems odd: I wouldn’t expect to see “Volumes” as part of the path, it should be just the Mac’s network name followed by the name of the shared folder. And isn’t the G-DRIVE on your Nucleus in any case?

The second looks better, but are you sure that you’ve opened up the Audirvana_MUSIC folder as a shared folder on the Mac?

And looking again at the screenshot - have you typed the folder name correctly? I thought it would be Audirvana not Audirivana…

Yes, I added that folder as a Shared folder on my iMac.

So based on what you see on the screenshots, should my PATH be this:

smb://Marcs-iMac.local/Audirivana_Music

Or do I also have to add more info re: the path. Do I have to put my User name in and password?

To make it clear, I am trying to get a folder holding the Audirivana_Music to be monitored by roon. It is on a G-drive Hard Drive on my iMac. I can’t seem to get it as a shared folder.
So the other other thing I’ve done is to copy that folder and put it on the G-drive HD connected to the nucleus. It works, it will just be harder to add new music to it.

The other problem I’m having, is on the Folder Control4-Music/Audirivana_Music, I am trying to copy a new song I just downloaded to my Mac. When I copy the file and try to “paste” it into the folder on the nucleus, it says I don’t have permission to do it. so how am I supposed to add new music to the nucleus now?

Absolutely. Check that you’ve got your username in the correct format.

On the Mac open a terminal window (Applications → Utilities → Terminal)

At the prompt type “whoami” without the quotes. This will return your user ID or short username. Use this as your username in the login window within Roon. This is case sensitive.

Thanks, I did what you said. my username shows as “marcabramson3@Marcs-iMac”

So I put that in as the username, and used the password I need to make any changes on my iMac.

I put in either \Marcs-iMac.local\Audirvana_MUSIC, or smb://Marcs-iMac.local/Audirvana-MUSIC

Nothing works.

No it doesn’t. Here’s an example what you can expect:

The username is bart. I suspect yours will be marcabramson3.

Hey @Marc_Abramson I wanted to check in and see how things were going on your end? Were you able to locate and input the proper path?

grafik

Try to use the defined share name instead of …

… or did you change it?

Sorry, been busy!! I will try it again today.

You are right. I got confused.

What do you mean by use the defined share name?

I tried again to no avail. I’m sure there is one simple, stupid thing I’m not doing.
I am putting in the Network share location as prompted, using my proper user name/password, but still no go. Here is the latest screenshot. Any more advice?

Didn’t you set the name of the share to ‘Audirivana_MUSIC’? You’re entering ‘Audirvana_Music’.

1 Like

I’m sorry, I tried everything. Did the sharing, got the correct USER and Folder path, password, File sharing. Nothing works. Someone will have to screen share with me and access the computer to see what’s what.

Nephrite,
Yes, I did catch that error with the caps. See the following:

And I even tried the alternate path with smb:

I’ll keep reading and trying. ;(

What I did do is add a copy of my Audirvana MUSIC folder to a separate external hard drive and then plugged it directly into the roon Nucleus. I then shared that folder in Preferences. Then I added that network path and that did work. So now roon can scan that folder and added all of those albums to roon so I can play them. The problem with that is for some reason while that hard drive is plugged into the nucleus, I cannot copy and paste any new music I buy to add it to that folder and therefore into roon. For some reason I get an error window saying I "don’t have permission to paste file to that folder, or any folder on that external hard drive, unless I unplug it and then plug it directly into my iMac.
That just means extra work whenever I want to add more music from a site that lets you buy and download HD and DSD files.

It’s not just the caps. Your share name in macOS according to the latest posted screenshot is ‘‘Audirivana_MUSIC’. There is a character i in there that isn’t in what you entered in Roon.

I feel like we’re almost there. Can you plese post the roon ‘Add network share’ dialog and the mac’s ‘Sharing’ panel side by side to compare?

Oh shoot, I must have mis-spelled Audirvana again!
One more time!!

Here are the two screenshots. Maybe you can see something I am not seeing.

Thanks!!

One is ‘Audirvana MUSIC’ and the other is ‘Audirvana_MUSIC’. There’s a discrepancy with the _ character.