My Roon Core is not getting an IP address

OK, then you are not running ROCK. Your AfterDark machine is running WIN10 with Roon Core. That is different than ROCK which has its own complete OS.

Not that it matters at this point, but as far as WiFi goes a neighbor can be using the same WiFi channel as you without being on your network.

Let’s start grasping at straws. Just as an experiment, turn off any firewalls you may have on the Win10 machine, then see if you can connect using Roon’s Remote.

Still can’t find the Roon Core.

Ok, at this point there’s no guarantee that Roon is even running.

Open Task Manager and see if there is an entry for Roon, something like RAATServer, etc.

Looks like other people are having this issue: ROCK v18 Build 931 doesn’t connect to remotes

There are a lot of other things running on it, but they are probably all WIN10 related.

OK, I thought it was odd that you were running ROCK on your AfterDark machine, since they are not a Roon partner and for them to supply you with ROCK would be illegal.

You simply have a WIN10 machine running RoonServer, which makes a slight difference.

That’s why these didn’t work -

I’m going to tag @support for you. They are the pros.

In the meantime, now that your configuration is clearer, maybe someone else will have more ideas.

Thanks xxx.

Symptom might be similar, but the cause is probably different. As has been said, you are not running a Roon OS version of Roon, i.e. it is not a Roon ROCK system.

Hey all,

Thanks a lot for discussing the issue @Michael_Girardi has ran into. It has proven to be very valuable in understanding his setup. Thank you :pray:

@Michael_Girardi we’re very sorry about the trouble… :pensive: . If you use an app like Fing, for example, is your AfterDark Machine (running Winodws 10) on the network?

beka, I loaded fing and I don’t see my Roon Core. AfterDark is recommending that I reload Windows 10.

Michael Girardi
Senior Editor for The Stereotimes

Earlier you said:

Have you got two network ranges active in your home network? Roon requires the Core and the client remotes to all be in the same network. It sounds as though your Roon Core is in one network, and the remotes are in the other…?

Perhaps you could detail your network setup for us: the hardware, the configuration and the network address ranges in use?

3 Likes

I am still not seeing my Roon Core on my iPad or iPhone. If you scroll through the thread, my system set-up is detailed. I connect to the mikeg5 network only on both the iPad and iPhone. In settings of both devices I set the slow network, mikeg as forget this network on both devices. I did reload Windows 10 and Roon on my AfterDark Server.

The Ethernet connection is required for my Roon Server, EtherREGEN switch, and Network Bridge. If you take a look at the photo should I enable mikeg5 wireless to my iPad and iPhone can connect to the Roon Core on the Roon Server? I enabled the wireless mikeg5 wireless network on the Roon Core and both remotes displayed connecting. They should up on Roon Core now but I can’t connect to my Roon Core on either remote.

Should I see an IP address for the Room Server?

It’s really not very clear what’s going on here. Your last shot of the Audio Settings in Roon shows the Roon Core is connecting to the iPhone and the iPad - so the Core, the Output devices and the network are all running and connected. So your Roon Core, along with your iPhone and iPad, has got an IP address. All the addresses are in the one network range, so all the devices are seeing each other.

You asked: “Should I see an IP address for the Room Server?”

Not in this Settings > Audio screen you won’t. To see the IP addresses of the Roon components in your network, go to Settings > About. All the devices that are connected and where Roon is active and running will be shown there, together with their IP addresses.

The USB connection on the PC is showing as “Unnamed” - had you got an audio component plugged into it? If so, the settings appear to have been lost, and you will need to set it up again.

1 Like

Geoff, AfterDark recommended I reload Windows 10 and to delete Roon from my Server and reload Roon from the Roon website. There wasn’t a data based usb connection before but I did additionally ground the AD Roon Server through the SR Active Grounding Block using the usb connection. Not sure why there is a usb connection in the Roon Audio screen. I made sure the Roon Remotes apps were deleted on my iPad and iPhone and reloaded them before reconnecting my router and AD Roon Server yesterday.

Why am I still not able to see my Roon Core on my iPad and iPhone?

Presumably because you had made the connection previously, and when you uninstalled Roon Server from the Windows 10 PC, you did not delete the Roon database and settings - so these were still present and picked up by the fresh installation of Roon Server.

As to why your remote devices are not seeing the Roon Server, it’s probably because the Windows Firewall on the PC has lost the settings to allow the Roon Server components to communicate with the remotes through the Firewall.

When you installed Roon Server, you should have seen two screens pop up asking you to confirm communication for these components:

Screenshot 2022-04-25 140855

Screenshot 2022-04-25 140933

And then Windows Firewall will have entries showing that communication is allowed:

1 Like

Geoff, Made the changes in my Window Defender Firewall but it is taking 15 minute so far on both remotes to connect. It oscillates between connecting and faileded to connect but mainly says connecting. Is because I have multiple raatserver and roonappliance listings?

Support, please provide feedback on my last post concerning multiple raatservers.exe and roonappliances.exe listings in allowed apps.

Tagging @support

If the Firewall rules were already present, I don’t think it a good idea to duplicate them?

As a test, can you temporarily turn off the Windows Firewall and see whether the 15 minutes delay and the connection losses disappear? If they don’t, then there is something else wrong with your home network. In which case, please describe your home network (hardware and configuration) in detail to help Support diagnose what’s going on in your setup. Thanks.

As a test