My Roon is not gapless playing through Chromecast [moved thread]

Playing through any of my three Google Chromecast’s Roon is not gapless - even though it should be according to this: Chromecast support in Roon - Roon Labs. It makes no difference if it is local flac files or Tidal.

When I play through any of my three Airplay devices, Roon plays perfectly without gaps between tracks.

Is there anything I can/should do to make it gapless through Chromecast?

Hello @Hans_N,

I wanted to touch base with some good news, which is that our technical team has been able to reproduce this behavior and we’ve opened up a bug report with our developers.

While I can’t say for certain when this bug will be fixed, getting things reproduced in-house is a critical first step, and I will keep this thread up to date as the team passes along feedback and work begins to get this resolved. Thanks again for the report!

1 Like

Hello @nuwriy,

Thank you. Thats good to know.

Almost 3 months later, Chromecast is still not gapless.

@support what is the status on this issue? Do you want me to provide you with my files/setup?

This is like watching a movie with a couple of seconds of black screen in between each cut. It drives me crazy.

2 Likes

Same here with Chromecast Audio. Very disappointing.

Hi, just want to add on here. My Chromecast Audio devices are not playing gapless thru Roon. Also, my NAD C 338, which has Chromecast built-in is not playing gapless. The frustrating part is sometimes it works, but most of the time it doesn’t. I don’t know why it’s so inconsistent!

Is this sorted out now?
Works OK if you do not skip inside track?

This is my experience too. If you play the track in its entirety it plays gaplessly. If you skip forward it won’t. The funny thing here is… I bet a lot of people are skipping to the end to check gapless is working correctly!

You can actually see the work around they have implemented if you look closely. About 5s before the track ends the timer will freeze (this must be when the next track is buffered) and then it’ll jump ahead to the first few seconds in the next track. But, if you’re not looking at the timer, it sounds gapless.

After initially feeling frustrated with Roon, I am now pretty impressed with what they’ve done!

:clap:t2:

2 Likes

@danielbower’s analysis is pretty good of a shift in strategy we had to make this stuff more reliable for less reliable networks.

I’m going to close this one out as there is another topic on the subject here, and I’ve posted a pretty good explanation of what’s going on.

Here is where I made the post: