My ROON Remote, operating on my IPad, keeps losing track of my audio device. I can reestablish contact by going to my ROON Core and clicking on my audio device tab. What is causing this?

Roon Core Machine

Apple iMac - IOS 10.15.7, 24 GB of RAM

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Apple Time Machine

Connected Audio Devices

NAD C399 connected via WiFi through Apple Time Machine Router.
5th Generation IPad running IOS 15.4.1

Number of Tracks in Library

About 26,000 tracks.

Description of Issue

If I leave my ROON Remote for any period of time, when I next start it up it says “No audio devices found”. Despite this I can go into the system and play music through one of my other services (Tidal BluSound, etc.). If I go on to my ROON Core, my audio device is there. When I click on the tab for that device, nothing seems to happen, but when I go back on the ROON Remote, the device is back, until the next time.

Roon doesn’t recommend Apple time machine.

Hey @Barry_Haughian,

Thank you for reaching out to us with your question. My apologies for the delayed response and for your wait. We’ve made some recent changes to the support team structure and some reports have experienced a longer response time than usual.

I’m sorry to hear that you were having issues with your Roon Remote disconnecting. Since some time has passed I wanted to touch base to get your current status.

@fietser was steering you in the right direction with the source of the issue most likely falling in line with your networking running on Apple Time Machine. If you’re still experiencing this problem, are you able to test out running your remote and Core on a different router and network?

We’ll be watching for your reply and get back in touch as quickly as we can. Thanks! :+1:

I disconnected my old Apple Router soon after your last suggestion and changed to a new, higher speed router and WiFi network. This improved the situation somewhat, but I am still being disconnected about once a week or so. It is easy to remedy (just restart the Live Radio link), but I am curious why it is happening in the first place.

Hey @Barry_Haughian,

Thanks for the update! Is your core hardwired to your router on the new network setup? Even if you’re running a more high-speed router, running your core through a wifi connection could still result in audio dropouts and disconnections from time to time (especially if other devices are active on the network as well.)

I like to keep the Networking Best Practices article on hand for situations like this (thank you @fietser for sharing it above!)

Let me know more specifically what your new network setup looks like, and we can continue to troubleshoot :metal:

My Core is connected to my router via WiFi. I don’t believe this is a problem as I do not have any problems with drop outs on any other application. It has been running on WiFi like this for 5+ years now.

Roon core device NEEDS ethernet connection.

Well, that’s not going to happen. If that is your only advice, then you might just as well close this string out.

Hey @Barry_Haughian,

Thank you for the updated information! I understand and can relate to your frustration with your remote losing connection.

If at all possible, I would try testing out connecting your Core to your router via ethernet, even if it isn’t something you’d be able to stick with long term. It would be good to see if your issue persists at all with a direct connection.

Another thought Barry, does this disconnect happen in a specific area of your home or set up? We’ve found that to be the case from time to time, where specific walls or objects in a home can disrupt a wifi connection stronger than others.

And something else to test if you haven’t yet, please reboot and update your Core and Remotes to the most recent Roon build (970) to see if that improves things for you.

Thanks, Barry!

It would be very difficult to make an ethernet connection to my CORE computer. Furthermore, I do not believe it is a WiFi disruption problem. As soon as Radio Paradise stops playing, I can use my IPad Roon Remote to change to a different music source (Music Genres for instance), so my IPad is still working, and I can connect to other music sources, all via WiFi from my CORE computer. Today was especially bad - I could not keep Radio Paradise running for 30 minutes at a time.

Sorry - one more thing I just remembered from your response. Both my computer and IPad have been upgraded to the latest Roon software.

Hey @Barry_Haughian,

Thanks for letting me know. Which Radio Paradise station are you seeing this happen with specifically? I just listened for 30+ minutes on the Radio Paradise: Main mix station without issue.

You mentioned you recently upgraded your router and Wifi network, are you able to provide more specific details about your setup? I want to make sure we have you dialed in with optimal settings on the router.

I would also give your router, core, and remotes a hard reboot across the board.

• Can you please try completely powering off your remote, core, then router
  • Unplug the power cable for your core and router, and let it sit for 30 seconds
  • Plug back in and reboot your router, core, and remote respectively

After re-connecting, let me know if your issue persists.

OK, I have done a hard reboot on my Router, Core and Remote. I will wait to see if this makes any difference or not.

My “new” router which I have had for a few months now (but was not using for my stereo/ROON) is one supplied by my Cable TV company. Thus, is has their identifier on the router, which is SHAW-2DFF. It is supposed to be a 1 GB router. When using one of those free speed checkers on line, I have seen between 500 and 600 MB at my computer (CORE) which would be received through my WiFi network. So, as I am now using the new, higher speed router, and am using the WiFi network provided by that Router.

When listening to Radio Paradise I use one or the other of the two FLAC 44100kHz 16 bit feeds. These are listed at the bottom of the Radio Paradise page when I bring it up off the Live Radio menu. Some days I don’t have any interruptions at all (playing for 4 to 6 hours per day). Other times, it stops once or twice per day. There are days however when it will not run for 30 minutes in a row. Listening for 30 minutes then is not really a big enough sample.

This morning I again was having problems with Radio Paradise disconnecting - every 15 minutes or so. So, for the first time (I don’t know why I never thought of this before - I’m claiming a senior moment) I tried a different local FM station - CKUA. I was surprised to find that it was also cutting out. So, it appears the issue is not with Radio Paradise, as I was beginning to believe.

Hey @Barry_Haughian,

Thanks for the update. On a side note, do you have any issues when playing local files, or streaming music from Tidal?

1. The next step in testing we’d like you to try: can you disable your NAD, and play radio just from your iMacs system output? Let me know if you still run into audio dropouts when trying this.

2. If yes, you do still have audio dropouts, can you try lowering the streaming resolution to the lowest option (AAC 32kbs) and see if you still run into dropouts?

3. If you stop having audio dropouts after this, move up the resolution incrementally and see what resolution you can stream with until you hit a snag.

4. Lastly, if you are able to stream at a lower quality without issues, try re-enabling your NAD as your endpoint and test streaming at that quality to your typical system output.

Thanks again for all your patience here, Barry :pray:

I do not have problems with drop outs on any feed except for the Live Radio feeds. All other feeds, no matter how high the signal resolution is, play reliably through my WiFi network. I have tried a number of other internet radio stations and they all continue to drop out on me.

It is not practical to try to play midic through my stereo system without my NAD amplifier. My CORE computer is on another level of my house, and my speakers would not tespond well to some sort of piped in computer link.

So, I am not sure what the problem is with my Live Radio feed, but I have come to the end of my patience with your proposed experiments. This problem only showed up when I installed ROON, and I still believe that is where the problem lies.

Hey @Barry_Haughian,

After our team reviewed your account in deeper depth, they were able to trace it back to network dropouts, leading to connection issues and causing your streaming to stop. There were also traces of slow media loading issues, which also leads back to a slow or disconnection to the network.

If you’d like to continue to find a solution, testing your core with a hardwired connection to your router is a clear next step. I know you mentioned you didn’t think this was possible, but if there comes a time when you’d like to try it out, let me know if we can provide additional assistance or if your issue still persists afterward.

Thanks, Barry!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.