My Roon review after 10days

Hi Jim

I am not sure why you have had so many issues. Roon has never crashed on me as such I have always put any glitches down to Wifi issues. I now have my own ethernet network and a Roon Nucleus. Everything since setting this up has been rock steady.

William

Hi Jim

I already wrote down things about this topic.
But for sure when roon core was on my nas qnap =
Problems, latencies and more.
Since I have a Nuc I5 8th gen, no more problem on anything even iPhone and I Pad.

And as you are an IT guy you should know how many things can be involved when you have problems…updates, compatibility, network and so on.

I hope your experience is getting better!

1 Like

Maybe the implementation is better on audio devices like streamer than an iPad.
For example, few minutes ago, I want to listen to music. I launch Roon on the iPad (endpoint) and take my iPhone to choose what I want. I couldn’t select the iPad as zone. I had to go to the iPad, go in audio settings. the iPad was in “activating” mode, I put a name in field, press return then the application crashed. I launch again Roon on the iPad and it was ok.
I don’t think it was a wifi issue.

Most if not all the issues you’ve encountered are probably your network/setup. I’ve been running roon on a QNAP NAS as roonserver/core for 2-3 years now. Never had a network or remote connection issue to date and that’s from various iOS and W10 devices.

3 Likes

I have Roon core on a Nucleus and use Dell XPS 15, iPhone 6S Plus, and iPad Mini 4 as control devices with zero issues. The Nucleus is connected by ethernet. The others are WIFI.

1 Like

I would remove and reinstall the iPad app. Also note that the default zone is made private for iOS devices so maybe change that as a first choice in setup

1 Like

I just do not understand. Why assume Roon is the problem? None of the listed problems has appeared here. How can that be if Roon is the problem source. I have Roon, you have Roon so we should both have the same problems as we both have Roon. But I have none of these problems. None!
I suggest, strongly, that your problems lie elsewhere than Roon.

4 Likes

Hi Jimmy,

i’m an IT-guy too and most of the time it’s a layer 8 problem, at least if i’m layer 8. :wink:

I’m using roon since last summer and it’s working extremely stable in my network. My roonCore uses hardware which is much weaker than the minimum recommendation without any problems. I think that’s because i forgo the potential bottlenecks WiFi & NAS.

What do you mean with 4 number code? Do you mean the settings > airplay and homekit > allow access > password? 4 number code sounds like airplay streaming over bluetooth and with roon we stream over the network.
I have in my AppleTV settings … „anyone in the same network“ and a password. Simply use roon on your ipad, go to settings > audio. On the right side you should see your AppleTV with an „Enable“ button. Click that one and type in your password. After that you can choose your AppleTV as an roon endpoint and start streaming from your roonCore.

(: whoa

1 Like

I got the Nucleus Plus, use the DAC within my Marantz SA-10 superaudio cd player, and an iPad as my controller. (McIntosh amp, Paradigm speakers, ethernet connection). I have both Tidal and Qobuz. I barely play the SACDs anymore since i can listen to downloads and streaming at above CD resolution.
I’m old and tech-naive but I have a very reliable dealer who set it up.
I may have finally found the system I always wanted.

3 Likes

I agree. I’ve been using Roon for almost a month and it’s been a LONG time since I’ve used software this buggy. It’s nice to be able to control all the rooms with one app and I like that the intent is high-quality music, but the iPhone app crashes almost constantly, the MacOS server gets stuck crashing and requires that the database be deleted so you can start over too often. It doesn’t matter how good the audio quality is if it’s always failing to play music. Spotify has lower quality streams, but it works reliably – lower-quality streams is better than no music. Roon needs to focus more on product quality before it focuses on audio quality.

Who the hell is using Java in 2020? Roon, that’s who! No wonder it’s so unreliable, Java was built to be bloated, slow and buggy. Roon proves that. The UI is lousy and ugly, very 1999. I can’t believe of all the reviews I’ve read no one talks about how lame the UI is. It’s unbearable and so many things are undiscoverable and unintuitive. Hire a UI/UX designer! Drop the cross-platform nonsense, it has never been good and never will be. Make a good iOS app, a good Android app, a good MacOS app, etc. Stop trying to be “efficient” by making something that looks and feels bad on every platform.

Come on Roon, you’ve been at this for 13 years (!) and the software is still this bad??!

6 Likes

Apple has been at iOS for 13 years, and still treats probably a billion people as beta-testers with each and every release. I don’t upgrade my Apple devices for at least 6 months after a “new” release. Let’s not even talk about Catalina. Roon works flawlessly for the overwhelming majority of users. The vast majority of issues people have are due to their network configurations/ISP vagaries. Sort all that out then come back and preach to us.

1 Like

What?! If you ranked software companies in order of high-quality, good design, ease-of-use and reliability Apple would be in everyone’s top 2 or 3 list, if not #1 across the board. You’re seriously putting Roon in that category?! Come on. There’s a reason these guys don’t work at Meridian anymore and it’s not because they were too good at their jobs!

My network is almost 100% wired. I’m a software developer and have been for 30 years, we’re all not noobs who are all using WiFi from our cheap routers from our ISP. The network (or crikey, firewalls and antivirus software!) is not the problem, it’s the buggy software. And it isn’t a problem streaming from my phone in Spotify, Tidal or Qobuz via Chromecast or Airplay. I’ve been doing that for years, but in just 1 month with Roon, suddenly my entire network is a problem. Roon can’t go a full day without at least one problem, usually many more. What do you blame for the Core software crashing? Is that my network or just me? Crashing software is a bug, software should never crash. But Roon crashes all the time.

5 Likes

I guess it’s time to use the mute option…once again.

6 Likes

Five days ago… :grinning:

Nor for me. Nor with Roon. So, there’s something up with your setup. Calm down, and fill out your details in the support section and let the people from Roon help you.

2 Likes

Roon never crashes for me unless my Ram saturates and that’s my issue being under the spec.
If people have crashes, they should report them to support so it can be investigated and fixed for the good of everyone.

System Details
Amp: Audionet DNA 2.0 + EPS G2 PSU
Speakers: 432 Point5 (DIY)
Stands: solidsteel SS-5
Speaker cables: Atlas Ichor MK2 (aka Mavros)

Roon & UPNP/DLNA Server Details
QNAP TS-251+8GB RAM & 2x1TB Sandisk ultra II SSDs
Teddy Pardo Dual 12v LPSU
TP-Link Archer VR-900 Switch/Router

Cables
Mains cables: H07RN-F 3 x 2.5mm with NAC3FX & NAC3MX (DIY)
Mains distribution: DCT03 + 432 Point5 4-way NAC3FPX & NAC3FPX (DIY)
USB cable: Nobility Eagle E-580US
Network cables: Metz CAT-7 MC GC1000 Plus23

As you can see from above the NAS is fairly well spec’d apart from its CPU https://www.qnap.com/en-uk/product/ts-251%2B. Its pure SSD and responds to commands and searches instantly with zero lag.
Then again, i don’t use any DSP functions, my amp has build-in digital room correction and bass management. The CPU will run into its upper limits IF i set it to use all for core and re-index my entire library which is 1700+ albums / 22000+ tracks… but even then, the connectivity remains rock solid.

The NAS and system is hard wired , the remotes are all over WiFi.

Crashes? Not for me. The only failures I had were network related (my network) and the Apple Catalina rollout over several years heavy use. And fortunately I had a workaround for that. I’m not an IT guy either. But I have good ISP service and a good network.

1 Like

Maybe Microsoft have it right

I run Win 10 Auto updated, Roon Auto updated

Loads of background services eg SQL Server , it’s also my normal desktop, mail dev, internet etc

I can’t remember when or even if my Core crashed

Maybe Apple is the problem ( ducks :star_struck: )

Si Troy please give us infos about your set up, because blaming Roon without any other options for crashes…
I’m not saying it is bug free but crashes could be related to the numerous softwares or OS you are using?
You talk about Apple? I’m 1000% Apple user for hardware from Mac to iPhone. I can not count the numbers of bugs and crashes on apps and guess what? Most of the time it is due to Apple releases…
Simple deduction as you update your iPhone and not the one of your wife or children and see what happens…

And if your are an IT guy for 30 years you re part of the f…and non user centric app and software delivered since 1990?
And for the Roon guys at least someone tried to aggregate all the non compatible solutions developed and sold on the market by IT guys…
Just for that and even if I’m not 100% satisfied I’m almost :slight_smile: happy to spend money on them

2 Likes