My Roon still crashes

For an about 1,5 months my Roon server on Synology still crashes. I can’t use it regularly.

My Synology is DS1821+, AMD Ryzen V1500B, RAM 64GB.

I have a huge music files, roon takes about 40GB RAM on NAS. All files a located on NAS.

Roon runs 1-2 days, crashes, then I restore it from backup, it runs for 1-2 days and crashes again. And again.

I think Roon support should look into my logs files why this happens.

Hi @Zbigniew_Zywko,

Please complete the support template below with your details. We’ll be happy to dig into things once we have all of the necessary information.

Wes

Would you mind filling out the support template below? You can copy and paste it in your reply, thanks!

Roon Core Machine

Include your operating system and machine info (Model, CPU, RAM).

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Your networking gear (model of routers/switches/etc), connection types (Wifi/Ethernet), and any firewalls, antivirus, or VPN software.

Connected Audio Devices

Specify what devices you’re using and their connection types, like USB/HDMI/Chromecast, etc.

Number of Tracks in Library

Tell us how large your music library is, eg. “30,000 tracks”.

Description of Issue

Tell us about the problem you’re having in as much detail as possible. Screenshots are always appreciated!

The NAS processor is way under specification for even an entry level roon installation. If you have tens or hundreds of thousands of tracks then you need a much faster machine.

Roon Core Machine

Synology DS1821+ , AMD Ryzen V1500B 4-core, CPU Threads 8, Frequency 2.20 GHz, RAM 64 GB (2x32 GB) DDR4-2400,

DSM 7.1-42661 Update 4, Roon Server for Synology DSM7 20220216 (latest version for Synology)

Networking Gear & Setup Details

LAN on Synology 10 000 Mb/s Full duplex - PCI Slot Synology E10G18-T1, connected to switch QNAP QSW-2104-2T, and this one to ASUS RT-AX88U (1000 Mb/s)

Connected Audio Devices

Audio not directly connected, audio - Roon on Mac Studio M1 Max (64 Gb Ram) with latest Mac Os 12.5.1, connected to to switch QNAP QSW-2104-2T, - 10 000 Mb/s.

Number of Tracks in Library

1 500 000 tracks,

Description of Issue

For an about 1,5 months my Roon server on Synology still crashes. I can’t use it regularly.
I have a huge music files, roon takes about 40GB RAM on NAS. All files a located on NAS.
Roon runs 1-2 days, crashes, then I restore it from backup, it runs for 1-2 days and crashes again. And again

With that number if tracks the NAS will never work properly. You need a powerful dedicated PC with an i7 or i9.

Thx. I’ve tried to run Roon on my Mac Studio with 64GB Ram and M1 Max Processor (10- core) and it was the same, it crashes.
I’m starting thinking about Intel Nuc NUC10i7FNH witn 64GB ram, but all may tracks will stay on Synology. Will it work properly with Roon on NUC?

I really have no idea. In previous responses to a million tracks the advice was to build a custom machine. For 1.5 million?
@danny ideas?

did you try using a subset of your library and see if that helps? im trying to figure out if the problem is indeed library size related or something else.

Sorry, but I don’t know what “subset” is, or how to make it I’m not a computer scientist.

A smaller number of tracks. So, see if it works with 100k tracks as an example.

1 Like

I have tracks in about 12 folders in 2 Volumes on NAS

So point at just one folder for a while to see if the server stays up. You can make sure you have reduced the tracks in storage by looking at the home page in roon which reports the stats.

If it stays up add another folder and so on.

If it crashes with the lower number then something else is causing your issues and further investigation will be needed.

1 Like

You should install Roon Core on an external ssd (connected at usb port at the back of your Synology)

@Zbigniew_Zywko,

Did you have an opportunity to lower the volume of your watched folders as suggested above? Please let us know. We’ll all be notified when you reply and are happy to assist.

Thanks,
Wes

For last 3 days, I’m indexing folders one by one. So far there is 9 from 12 folders and everything is ok. I think I will finish it in 2 days.

1 Like

@Zbigniew_Zywko,

Thank you for checking back in. It does seem that the formally indexed folders were at least partially to blame. Keep us posted!

Wes

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.