Mytek Brooklyn bit rate flicker

Hi,

I am using the Brookly directly connected to my iMac and I am up-sampling the music using PCM power of 2. I am also using Audeze presets).
Everything is working as expected and the Mytek is showing a 32 bit signal with 352.8 kHz sampling (playing a 44.1kHz track) however I noticed that on the Mytek screen show sometimes the 32 bit changing very quickly and briefly to another bit rate, it is super fast so I cannot see what is, sometimes seems 30, other times 25 or 26? It is super quick, a fraction of second but I am wondering if it is normal and expected.
thanks
Marco

Hi Marcor,

Could you upload a image of the Roon Signal path, this will help to explain what Roon is outputting to your DAC.

As for the Mytek flickering, that’s a puzzle… I wonder if any other Mytek owner see it.

Hi @Carl,

sure.
Roon Signal path

Device Set up General

Device Setup Playback

thanks
M

Thanks for the images, they all checkout ok and confirm that Roon is outputting 32bit 352.8 kHz.

Sorry I can’t help with the Mytek flickering.
I’ll tag @support they may wish to take a look at Roon’s log files.

Apologies for butting in, but -

1. Why is your 'DSD Playback Strategy" DoP when the Brooklyn supports native DSD?
  2. On ‘Device Setup’ DSD256 is in red, but Brooklyn supports DSD256.

If I’m being a PITA, no need to respond.

It just occurred to me that the above applies only to USB and you are using some other interface?

Not a problem.

I am using USB. Mytek provides Windows drivers but not Mac OS. Natively Mac OS cannot do DSD natively so I had to use DoP

1 Like

Thanks for clearing that up. I remember that post, now. Strange about macOS.

BTW I did a video of the flickering you can find it here

It this a newly acquired DAC. Could it simply be a lemon?

The fact that Brooklyn needs special macOS drivers for DSD is disconcerting. I have an iFi DAC2 and an iDSD and their web site specifically states no drivers are needed for either Linux or Mac.

Disappointing, looks like Mytec didn’t design to the USB audio class 2 spec. I wonder if the same is true for the new Manhattan?

I think a hardware problem with the display on this particular Brooklyn is the most likely cause of the flickering problem.

In fact, no proprietary drivers are needed for the Brooklyn to be used with MacOS for up to PCM384 and DSD128.

I agree that the DoP-only situation with MacOS is kind of silly. It’s something Apple should fix. However, there are DACs that can do DSD256 via DoP on MacOS. Such DACs need to be capable of PCM705.6/768 when dealing with the DSD256 stream. A number of iFi DACs can do this, for example. Also, if a DAC manufacturer goes to the trouble of developing its own MacOS ASIO driver, then you can do native DSD on a Mac. To my knowledge, exaSound is the only DAC mfr that’s bothered to make this investment.

Sorry, but this just isn’t the case. Both the Brooklyn and the Manhattan II can handle Class 2 USB audio with no problem. (Previous-generation Mytek DACs required proprietary drivers to do USB Class 2 on Mac.)

1 Like

Interesting, thanks. Still, the question remains for me, “Why can’t Mytec do native DSD256 under macOS without special drivers when iFi, and I assume others, have no problem?”.

Would this also be true for Linux, e.g. an RPi/DietPi?

Just my blighted curiosity. :sunglasses:

I addressed this above:

The Brooklyn just isn’t designed to deal with the PCM7xx rates.

Yes, the easiest way for a Mac user to get around this limitation is to add in a Linux- (or Windows-) based network endpoint (e.g., an Allo USBridge or an ultraRendu).

(I put in “ultraRendu” just to annoy you. :wink:)

1 Like

I did have something similar happen on my Mytek and it was fixed with a software update. Have you updated the Brooklyn as they do keep the patched coming regularly

Thanks Matthew

I checked and I have the 2.36 that I believe is the latest.

thanks
Marco

Thanks David,
yes my long term plan is to buy an end point of some sort but for the time being I have to do with what I have.

cheers
Marco

That is the latest, just an idea

I will log a ticket with Mytek and see what they say.